Feedback

How can we improve ProtonMail?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. allow us to have whatever spec compliant local-part for custom domain email addresses

when trying to set the local-part for my custom domain email address to "~"
    I get this error message:

"Only alphanumerics, periods, hyphens, and underscores are allowed in the local part of the email address, and it must begin and end with alphanumerics." all I can say is why?

"it must begin and end with alphanumerics."
    this is so arbitrary! it's an email address' local-part not a username..

for many years, I have always used ~@myna.me as my email address, before and after I self-hosted my email, I use it for all of my online accounts and and all of…

141 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Existing features (improved)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Browser Quick Login with PIN

I would like a similar experience in the browser that we have with the mobile app. Set an expiration where the user can still unlock quickly with PIN.

A trusted computer browser stores the main logon cookie with no expiration. But this cookie only has an encrypted blob that cannot access the mailbox alone. The 2nd cookie set to expire in X minutes/hours must be combined with a user supplied PIN, and that will decrypt the non-expiring main cookie blob, which logs the user back into the mailbox.

763 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Existing features (improved)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Mailspring support for ProtonMail Bridge

ProtonMail Bridge has bugs integrating with the Mailspring email client. The Mailspring team have expressed interest in working together to get these issues resolved. If the bugs could be fixed and the Bridge could get working with Mailspring it would be a great productivity booster!

201 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    17 comments  ·  Existing features (improved)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. ProtonVPN - Plus Country config

Country config only give access to the basic servers even for Plus subscribers. This limits the number of IPs which are randomly cycled through by a Plus user and takes away a lot of incentive to upgrade.
    It would be useful to have Plus specific country config files.

96 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Existing features (improved)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Multi user too expensive

1 user, 1 domain = 48€/year
    If you need 2 users, 1 domain = 150€/year
    Why a so big price increase when you need 2 users ? Could you have an better offer, for example at 70€/year. Seems more logical.

Best regards

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Existing features (improved)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Accept Bitcoin on the Lightning Network!

The Lightning Network is in beta, but it allows for instant payments (no confirmations) and almost 0% fees, provided the user has a channel open. You already accept Bitcoin... and the Lightning Network is a major upgrade to way people will use BTC to make payments. If you do it soon, you will also get a P.R. boost, as it will inevitably be mentioned in the Bitcoin media.

475 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    29 comments  ·  Existing features (improved)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 2FA trust device

Can you allow me to "trust" a device - like other websites do - so that I only need my credentials, but not need my 2FA code everytime I log on on my own laptop?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Existing features (improved)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. SpamAssassin: set required level for each user separately

It would be great if each user could modify the default level required in SpamAssassin (4) to another value (e.g. 5 if too many legitimate mails land in the spam folder).

184 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Existing features (improved)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Grouping messages in Android mobile app

It would be great to copy messages grouping from web version to mobile app (Android). Without this feature it's really hard to use Protonmail on mobile.
    Thank you!

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Existing features (improved)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Cheaper storage? hear me out

I work for a large Corporation. I'm the Net Admin and I also wear many other hats. I signed up for proton mail and I love it. I was so excited I told others in my department about it and some end users. the only issue with them and with me as I plan to be long time is the storage.

storage is getting cheaper and cheaper. I just upgraded one of our file servers from 20TB to 40TB for about $500. thats HDD though. we have others with SSD and I know that would be more, but if I…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Enhanced Folder Functionality

Every other major (and many minor) email clients have hierarchical folders - organizing emails is not a discretionary function. Proton Mail should have:

1. Nested folders (critical)

2. Unlimited nesting (important) - a reasonable compromise would be 2 or 3 levels of nesting.

3. Drag n Drop sorting (critical)

4. Search options that reflect hierarchies (all folders / sub folders / this folder) (important)

5. Color inheritance (from the top-most folder in a group (not important)

I can't fully migrate off my other emails until this basic functionality is supported.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Existing features (improved)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. SpamAssassin: default required value for all users

As long as my other idea (https://protonmail.uservoice.com/forums/284483-feedback/suggestions/34132327-spamassassin-set-required-level-for-each-user-sep) is not yet implemented:
    Set required level in SpamAssassin more conservatively as suggested by SpamAssassin:
    https://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.1.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html#user_preferences
    Default (for single-user setup) is 5 - for ISPs they suggest that "you should probably set the default to be more conservative, like 8.0 or 10.0". ProtonMail sets the value to 4 for all users! That is too low!

147 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Existing features (improved)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Family Account

Please change the billing to allow an additional user for "plus" accounts with a maximum of 2 users as to not steal business from the "Pro" sales.

Cost breakdown:

1 user 2 users +$1.75/month
    5 gb shared data saves $3.75/month
    5 addresses shared addresses saves $0.75/month
    1 domain shared domain saves $1.50/month
    $48 annual $65 annual

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Onion V3 Address Access To Protonmail

Protonmail already uses a old v2 onion address format (https://protonirockerxow.onion) it would be nice to have the new v3 onion format address that has many benefits over the v2 technology:
    1. Better crypto (replaced SHA1/DH/RSA1024 with SHA3/ed25519/curve25519)
    2. Improved directory protocol, leaking much less information to directory servers.
    3. Improved directory protocol, with smaller surface for targeted attacks.
    4. Better onion address security against impersonation.
    5. More extensible introduction/rendezvous protocol.
    6. A cleaner and more modular codebase.

The new addresses looks like 56-characters domain ( ex.: 4acth47i6kxnvkewtm6q7ib2s3ufpo5sqbsnzjpbi7utijcltosqemad.onion ).

Apparently some sort of vanity address is possible (more limited…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. support

I'm paying for what is supposed to include improved support and yet it's hard to find answers to questions and I get delayed, unhelpful or no response. Have tech support that is actually supportive at least in the paid version.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. "Empty older than" in trash

It would be great to have the ability to delete from the trash all the items that are older than, say, one month or one year. I want to delete my old emails, but I am afraid of emptying the trash completely since there might be recently deleted items that I still need (which ideally shouldn't happen, but occasionally does). This means that I end up never emptying my trash, which takes up significant and unnecessary space in my account (and on Protonmail's servers).

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Remove Payment Option

Remove All Payment Cards - Ability to remove payment card details; have no card attached to an account perminently & just pay near a renewal date or have account auto-deleted.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow search by both (label AND folder), (label AND label AND label)

Expand search on filters

- allow to search a label and a folder
    - allow to search a label and/or a label and/or a label
    - allow to search (a label and/or a label) and a folder

Then I can look for different aspects of the same directory.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 1 TB or more cloud storage like other competitors

That would be great if protonmail provides a large amount of cloud storage (1TB or more) like google drive or one drive for emails and file sharing with reasonable price.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Apply existing filters on mailbox

It would be great that we can apply newly created filters on the mailbox.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 53 54
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base