How can we improve ProtonMail?

ProtonMail messaging app

Hi, ProtonMail is a great service. Have you considered a messaging app too? ie an alternative to Whatsapp, Viber, Messenger etc which, like ProtonMail, respects an individual's privacy and has no connecting to the likes of Google and Facebook.

1,123 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

47 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Farid Hajji commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@C: "Signal uses Google play services to communicate"

Signal doesn't need Google Play Services at all. If you run it on a Google-free system like LineageOS (without GApps, microG), Signal simply opens a background connection to its servers, and still gets call notifications and messages in a timely manner.

From a usability point of view, Signal is perfectly fine without Google Play Services.

• Aerion commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, we don't need yet another chat and call network, yet another app to try and convince our friends and family to switch to.

Just use Signal.

It would be nice to use the email address itself for chat. Delta Chat already offers this over IMAP, but sadly this won't work with ProtonMail as IMAP is only available via the ProtonMail Bridge.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Encrypted messengers already exist like ******* exist. I think if proton were to create a messenger it should be only for those who currently have Proton accounts registered therefore ensuring the transmissions are encrypted either side. That is the only way it would compete with other messenger services by providing them something new, established and reliable. This will also help the Proton community to grow in order to use it you need to sign up with Proton to communicate with other members.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely No. There are too many great apps out there and protonmail would have to be compliant with at least some of them. I do not expect many of my friends installing another im app

• C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Signal uses Google play services to communicate and needs access to your body sensors to do so. Please make a messaging app that doesn't need all of that information and allows me to click a contact and go straight to messaging them.

No.

The last thing we need is another messaging app crowding the field. People should be adopting other alternatives like Signal, or other Signal Protocol clients. Getting users off of FB Messenger, SMS, iMessage is hard enough - let alone a dozen competing standards

• Kevin T. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let ProtonMail do what it was designed for...email. There are plenty of secure messaging apps out there already. Give Signal a try.

• JC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would be interesting to see PMs take on this ... While I like the levels of security that Signal offers it's got a couple of limitations which bug me. Because I don't *need* that level of security for my family IM needs I use Telegram as my primary messaging client but it would be nice to have something that integrates with PM (single client install on mobile?) and offers Signal level of security/integrity with some of the user friendly Telegram features

• Corey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with using XMPP+OMEMO, Conversations.im already works well, it would be good to have a server with ProtonMail's security.

The only thing I could see them adding is something like a secure XMPP webclient since they seem to be interested in using open standards. And given that OMEMO is one of the major selling points for using XMPP for IM they could definitely do something especially if they also allow access over their onion site. But building a new app with a new scheme seems redundant given the existance of Signal & Wire.

• Cubit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I personally use Threema for secure IM, but I think a ProtonChat feature integrated into the web interface would make sense. It would be very handy to be able to chat with your proton contacts without having to write emails.

• Bloodletter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use signal and love it, the only improvements I would have would be similar for messenging functionality for Protonmail:

- Cross platform support rather than having it tied to a phone number.
    - Turning off emoji (damn, those things annoy me)

• LUH3417 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Threema is the finest in Secure & Private Messaging. It does not require a phone number for identification. It uses a randomly generated ID to be given to other contacts. Wire looks good too, but does not yet have the feature set that Threema offers.

Protonmail does not need to reinvent a great product Threema has already created. Signal is also great if you are comfortable sharing your phone number.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One more option, for Android at least (and open source, available from f-droid), is Silence. I have been using it happily for months, and have convinced contacts to switch. :-D

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base