How can we improve ProtonMail?

ProtonMail messaging app

Hi, ProtonMail is a great service. Have you considered a messaging app too? ie an alternative to Whatsapp, Viber, Messenger etc which, like ProtonMail, respects an individual's privacy and has no connecting to the likes of Google and Facebook.

960 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

34 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Corey commented  · 

I agree with using XMPP+OMEMO, Conversations.im already works well, it would be good to have a server with ProtonMail's security.

• Anonymous commented  · 

The only thing I could see them adding is something like a secure XMPP webclient since they seem to be interested in using open standards. And given that OMEMO is one of the major selling points for using XMPP for IM they could definitely do something especially if they also allow access over their onion site. But building a new app with a new scheme seems redundant given the existance of Signal & Wire.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Use Signal or Wire
        No need for another secure messaging app

• Cubit commented  · 

I personally use Threema for secure IM, but I think a ProtonChat feature integrated into the web interface would make sense. It would be very handy to be able to chat with your proton contacts without having to write emails.

• Bloodletter commented  · 

I use signal and love it, the only improvements I would have would be similar for messenging functionality for Protonmail:

- Cross platform support rather than having it tied to a phone number.
        - Turning off emoji (damn, those things annoy me)

• LUH3417 commented  · 

Threema is the finest in Secure & Private Messaging. It does not require a phone number for identification. It uses a randomly generated ID to be given to other contacts. Wire looks good too, but does not yet have the feature set that Threema offers.

Protonmail does not need to reinvent a great product Threema has already created. Signal is also great if you are comfortable sharing your phone number.

• Dave commented  · 

One more option, for Android at least (and open source, available from f-droid), is Silence. I have been using it happily for months, and have convinced contacts to switch. :-D

• Ayush commented  · 

"Telegram' might be an option too, they take privacy and security seriously

• Gawd commented  · 

@Happy,

Just use Signal for gawdsake! I don't trust Protonmail that much; they can't even fix up their existing bugs in a timely manner.

• Happy commented  · 

The reason I want protonchat, is because i trust PM enough that i desire a suite of secure proton-services. And that includes a secure chat/messaging-service.

• R commented  · 

This is not necessary. There are already great messaging apps out there, with no connections "to the likes of Google and Facebook", which are also free and excel in terms of privacy features.

• Mad As commented  · 

I wish this service had a vote DOWN button.

There are sufficient alternatives out in the wilds of the internet to deliver this requirement.

All this does is distract the Proton Dev people and push precious resources onto frivolous projects when they should be focusing on their core service that we have already paid for, being EMAIL ...that is still deficient in so many areas.

Grrr

• Angus SF commented  · 

I'm with the many who recommend Signal, and we use it throughout our family.

WhatsApp may use Signal's protocol, but the servers at WhatsApp store your decryption key. This means your messages can be decrypted by coding errors, by crooked employees when curious or when payed off, or when the company forced to do so by the authorities.

If you are truly concerned about keeping your SMS messages private, I wouldn't recommend WhatsApp.

• Luís Bragança commented  · 

It would be a great idea IF you had someone there to talk to.
        There already are several secure+encrypted+fully-open-source chat programs, but it's hard to convince your family and friends to use it, so it would be a bit waste of resources to build that app.

• Tohoo Vavohoo commented  · 

Agreed, no need to start a new project. This already exists. There are lots of things that don't exist, no need to spend time on the things that do exist.

• Are Lomsdalen commented  · 

I would gladly pay extra for this feature. (Even though I am happy with ThreeMa)
        (And I paid for a VPN service ($7/month), before you gave us ProtonVPN)
        Paying $30 per month, is ,in my opinion, a steal for all the services you provide.

• John commented  · 

It would be better to use the gold standard for security. SIGNAL. It's available for all platforms and is open source.

• Anonymous commented  · 
      • HHH commented  · 

Wire is the way to go. Don't ever put your secure eggs in one basket.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base