How can we improve ProtonMail?

Too have an option to block email addresses from being able to send you mail

It would be great to be able to block certain email addresses from being able to send you emails. Not just a filter to go to “spam” but being able to actually block the sender totally

1,039 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jody shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • pnobulls commented  · 

Tutanota another e-mail provider has this option already, they set it up to where people can input the e-mail and decide where that e-mail address always goes, and people don't have to deal with them.

• Alex Amiryan commented  · 

This feature is a very must! I don't want to receive tons of email in my Spam folder every day, which I need to manually delete. Just add option to block sender email or whole domain. If blocked sender should receive a hard bounce and that mail should never come to my mailbox, even in Spam folder.

Thanks

• Anonymous commented  · 

Create an "Auto Purge" feature so that email addresses (example@example.com) or domain names (example.com) are immediately purged - all emails from those email addresses or domains are never seen (bypass Trash).

• Chris P Augustine commented  · 

If you filter out all email as spam that is not from .com, .net, .gov, .us, .ch, .org (and a few others) you'll lose 75% to 85% of the spam and you'll maybe lose a few good emails, but you'll have to dig them out. Then you can adjust the filter to allow for these.

• Chris P Augustine commented  · 

With a Sieve you can issue a reject if you put reject in the modules list. It's undocumented (well ProtonMail says it's not possible). You can also make it look as if it was genuinely rejected via SNMP if you know the address and half way put something together in the reply text.

Like I told the Thunderbird zombies, I can break anything.

• Anonymous commented  · 

mailwasher had a feature that would send a "bounce" message to unwanted senders. "bounce" is a msg back to the sender that the target email address does not exist. i.e. if/when you delete your account from an old email (leave a company, chnage providers). Spammers listen for these bounces and remove targets from thier database.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Would also like to be able to block the sender's whole domain like you can in Outlook.

• steved commented  · 

Agreed, it would be great if known e mail addresses could be blocked whilst having an auto-reply set saying the 'address does not exist' or similar.
        If it were a paid service I would gladly pay,
        Thanks

• sdfsdf commented  · 

In gmail I created a filter which sends an autoreply bounce to unwanted domains, what it does is trash it and then send the autoreply, which the autoreply I copied and pasted a real BOUNCE email and that way it tricks some servers and most users to think it really bounced! It works.

• sdfsdf commented  · 

Or at the very least, to BLACKHOLE the email so you never see it, but ideally, BLACKHOLE while sending a bounce request.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I don't see a reason to not using filters instead. Just because seeing an potentially unwanted E-Mail causes you emotional harm, doesn't mean that the platfrom should be reworked. Just don't peek into your SPAM folder :)

• Anonymous commented  · 

Agreed with that comment:

"WE HAVE THIS!
        You can CURRENTLY just add a filter to send email to trash for address!

Dont waste the devs time when there are real issues to solve!

• Dan commented  · 

I second the idea of being able to block a whole country.

• Ken Pepper commented  · 

This would be a great way to handle Spam

• Anonymous commented  · 

The idea I think was not to just block addresses but to bounce the e-mails like the person they are trying to reach does not exist.

• Mary Kamplain commented  · 

Yes, this would be helpful. It must be easy to use.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base