How can we improve ProtonMail?

Too have an option to block email addresses from being able to send you mail

It would be great to be able to block certain email addresses from being able to send you emails. Not just a filter to go to “spam” but being able to actually block the sender totally

1,130 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jody shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kevin T. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think having a black list to serve as a “bounce back” rejection would be great.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh PULEEEZ create a way for us to bounce an email back to sender w/an "undelivered" or better yet a "You've been permanently blocked from sending this person any emails" or even better let us title the bounce back to what ever we'd like it to say, like "Sorry this person does not accept emails from illiterate aliens" or something!! All the other free email servers offer a way to bounce emails back accept you guys........ C'mon, pretty please!! Having these emails just go to our spam folders doesn't make them stop. We need something that shows them we are not accepting or getting their messages.

Would love this plus a "bounce" feature. Blocking spammers doesn't get your address off their list but sending a hard bounce does.

• Joseph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got a response from Proton support basically saying that they already have the ability to implement this but are afraid users will accidentally block addresses. OK, so allow it to be undone just as easily (again this is a common feature with all my previous email accounts). You Cern guys should know that nothing is idiot proof. As Dumas observed, "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genious has limits".

• Joseph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In regards to your sieve filter as the spam solution...This is ridiculously complicated and completely unnecessary. Every other email provider I have ever used is able to permanently block any sender with a simple right click. Unwanted emails don't go to the spam folder, they just are automatically deleted from the server without ever having to see them. Accidentally blocked addresses can simply be removed from the blacklist and will be seen normally again. This is the 100% must-have feature that needs to be implemented by the time my account comes due for renewal, or I refuse to pay until it is added. Another huge annoyance is having to log back into protonmail each and every time I try to go to help or the discussions. This comment was originally meant to be posted under the link below, but I can't stay logged in to post it. Overall I am extremely pleased with the service and security offered and more than happy to pay for it rather than trading my personal information. It really doesn't seem like too much to ask for things to be as simple and straightforward as possible.

• pnobulls commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tutanota another e-mail provider has this option already, they set it up to where people can input the e-mail and decide where that e-mail address always goes, and people don't have to deal with them.

• Alex Amiryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is a very must! I don't want to receive tons of email in my Spam folder every day, which I need to manually delete. Just add option to block sender email or whole domain. If blocked sender should receive a hard bounce and that mail should never come to my mailbox, even in Spam folder.

Thanks

Create an "Auto Purge" feature so that email addresses (example@example.com) or domain names (example.com) are immediately purged - all emails from those email addresses or domains are never seen (bypass Trash).

• Chris P Augustine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you filter out all email as spam that is not from .com, .net, .gov, .us, .ch, .org (and a few others) you'll lose 75% to 85% of the spam and you'll maybe lose a few good emails, but you'll have to dig them out. Then you can adjust the filter to allow for these.

• Chris P Augustine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With a Sieve you can issue a reject if you put reject in the modules list. It's undocumented (well ProtonMail says it's not possible). You can also make it look as if it was genuinely rejected via SNMP if you know the address and half way put something together in the reply text.

Like I told the Thunderbird zombies, I can break anything.

mailwasher had a feature that would send a "bounce" message to unwanted senders. "bounce" is a msg back to the sender that the target email address does not exist. i.e. if/when you delete your account from an old email (leave a company, chnage providers). Spammers listen for these bounces and remove targets from thier database.

Would also like to be able to block the sender's whole domain like you can in Outlook.

• steved commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, it would be great if known e mail addresses could be blocked whilst having an auto-reply set saying the 'address does not exist' or similar.
        If it were a paid service I would gladly pay,
        Thanks

• sdfsdf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In gmail I created a filter which sends an autoreply bounce to unwanted domains, what it does is trash it and then send the autoreply, which the autoreply I copied and pasted a real BOUNCE email and that way it tricks some servers and most users to think it really bounced! It works.

• sdfsdf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or at the very least, to BLACKHOLE the email so you never see it, but ideally, BLACKHOLE while sending a bounce request.

I don't see a reason to not using filters instead. Just because seeing an potentially unwanted E-Mail causes you emotional harm, doesn't mean that the platfrom should be reworked. Just don't peek into your SPAM folder :)

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base