Feedback

How can we improve ProtonMail?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. There should be a backup feature provided for paying customers.

There should be a backup feature provided for paying customers. We need the ability to backup all email and folders to a local drive. The recent VFMail disaster demonstrates how vulnerable some email providers can be. I encourage you to provide this support as soon as possible. Consider this suggestion as an additional enhancement to your current email software.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Features seen on other services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Calendar please. I want to be 100% Outlook and Google free ASAP!!!

Just add a calendar, and they will come...

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Improve addressing with extension character; allow hyphen (-); use correct sender address.

1. Add the use of a hyphen (-) as the extension character, in addition to plus (+). Reasoning is below.

2. When a message arrives for example-bob@protonmail.com, replies sent by the recipient should automatically show example-bob@protonmail.com as both the header sender and the envelope sender. The reason should be obvious.

Why hyphen (-) in addition to plus (+). The use of plus (+) tells people that you are using an extension, while the use of hyphen (-) makes the address look like an ordinary address.

Many buggy websites reject email addresses that contain a plus.

For additional reasoning see…

1,137 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Integrate with pgp keystore for to addresses

Allow us to provide public keys for our contacts, letting us encrypt emails to people without using protonmail "secure" email with password.

Additionally offer search functionality for one of the well known keystores (MIT, etc) to find public keys for people you're sending emails to.

608 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. IMAP/SMTP

Please include IMAP/SMTP with a free account... without IMAP/SMTP, I cannot effectively test or use protonmail (PM) as my regular email provider...
    I know you include IMAP/SMTP in paid accounts to encourage users to upgrade to a paid account. However, your approach has the opposite effect -- it discourages users from using PM at all... perhaps, this is you goal -- you do not want free users... Hint: Enlightened self-interest: Paid users come out of free account users, but they have to be using the free account enough to integrate PM into their daily routines and practices... PM has created…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Features seen on other services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. one-time password for encrypted messages to non-protonmail users

My healthcare provider sent me a mail informing that I had to retrieve a private message from their secured servers. Clicking the link in my mail kicked of a 2nd mail containing an expiring OTP. Only after entering the OTP I was able to retrieve the message. I've seen this approach used by other services as well, the advantage being that you don't have to negotiate a password beforehand. It can be a nice improvement to the current implementation of sending encrypted messages to non-protonmail users.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Features seen on other services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. SpamAssassin: set required level for each user separately

It would be great if each user could modify the default level required in SpamAssassin (4) to another value (e.g. 5 if too many legitimate mails land in the spam folder).

186 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Existing features (improved)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. More keyboard shortcuts

Please implement more keyboard shortcuts for managing mail message. An example would be keyboard shortcuts to open the "Move to folder" and "Apply label" dialog. This is similar to GMail's shortcut, when you have a message(s) selected and press the "v" key. Currently I have to mouse around to do this, and organizing messages is such a core feature, I don't think using the mouse each and every time should be necessary.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Existing features (improved)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Plus Account with EDU Email

-> Free plus account for uni/post-secondary students

- Can be featured in github's student pack (https://education.github.com/pack)
    - Account upgrade could simply expire at the end of educational term
    - Custom domain options allow students to use their EDU domain email with proton mail's superior service
    - Allows students to organize busy mail traffic without folder limitations
    - Increase storage capacity allows for multiple word documents and Comp. Sci projects

487 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    25 comments  ·  Features seen on other services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Security new feature: RFC 8461 - SMTP MTA Strict Transport Security (MTA-STS)

RFC 8461 - SMTP MTA Strict Transport Security (MTA-STS) is a mechanism enabling mail service providers (SPs) to declare their ability to receive Transport Layer Security (TLS) secure SMTP connections and to specify whether sending SMTP servers should refuse to deliver to MX hosts that do not offer TLS with a trusted server certificate.

This is obviously to secure messages between mail providers, so users benefit from the additional security on transit. This is backed by: Google, Oath ("yahoo"), Comcast, Microsoft... the big company's in the area... so it should be adopted by them.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Give the iOS app rounded corners

Make the iOS app look more modern by adding rounded corners to the UI

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. More and Better Folders

I want to use more than three folders, but I don't need anything else that comes with an upgrade so why can't I buy folder access seperately OR pay less (a dollar a month/dollar per folder, etc...) for features like folder use without the extras. OR you could just give free users access to unlimited folders like EVERY OTHER email provider. Please, this is a bigger problem then some people realize.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Existing features (improved)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Compatc view

I liked the compact view of gmail.
    Is there possibility to switch in that view, because the rendering actual in use I think is very close.

Thanks

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Burnable Email Addresses

I wish that there were a slot for email addresses you can designate as a "burnable slot". This would mean that the email address that you assign to this slot can at any time be immediately burned away and a new 'alias' or address created in its place at a moment's notice.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Text size and font

The service is missing a choice for text size and font that can be chosen as a set up feature. Currently you can do it in each message, but (a) the size is too small, (b) the font choice reverts back to default, and (c) visibility is horrendous. Keep in mind that not all subscribers have the same level of visual acuity. Therefore the idea is that one can choose his own default setting and not be bothered by almost unreadable characters.

192 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    36 comments  ·  Features seen on other services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Dark theme for App

Would love a dark theme for the Android app

11,911 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    43 comments  ·  Features seen on other services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Grouping messages in Android mobile app

It would be great to copy messages grouping from web version to mobile app (Android). Without this feature it's really hard to use Protonmail on mobile.
    Thank you!

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Existing features (improved)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Email font preference setting

Ability to set font to size style and color one time without having to reset it with every email. Standard setting is way too small

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Cheaper storage? hear me out

I work for a large Corporation. I'm the Net Admin and I also wear many other hats. I signed up for proton mail and I love it. I was so excited I told others in my department about it and some end users. the only issue with them and with me as I plan to be long time is the storage.

storage is getting cheaper and cheaper. I just upgraded one of our file servers from 20TB to 40TB for about $500. thats HDD though. we have others with SSD and I know that would be more, but if I…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Plain text - add line breaks every 72 characters

Best practices on mailing lists say to send messages in plain text (no HTML) and to add line breaks every 72 characters. Currently, messages sent from PM look terrible on many mailing lists - you can't read this normally, because the whole message is one long line.

In gmail, if you send a message in plain text, line breaking is automatically added. This is very useful. Currently messages sent from PM to mailing lists are often very frustrating for readers.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base