How can we improve ProtonMail?

ProtonVault

How about a service like LastPass or 1Password to make it easy to store all passwords and secure notes either online and synced with other computers and devices, or locally on one device. A secure password manager using the best of ProtonMail/ProtonVPN services

2,047 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Merlyn Gordon shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bad Idea commented  · 

bad... BAD idea.... There are plenty of apps out there that already do this.
        Moreover, you mentioned one of them - LastPass. You can also use KeePass or its derivatives for a local solution, if you do not trust LastPass storage.
        The main idea behind ProtonMail is that IT IS NOT GOOGLE and it doesn't try to provide everything to everyone, because if it does, it's either going to go DARK or is going to have some flaws within the important services.
        One important note in privacy is the fact that you have to decentralize wherever it is possible, thus keeping things separate.
        Protonmail does a great job on e-mail, and tries to improve it, that is why a lot of people like it that much.

• Hunter Hogan commented  · 

MINUS 100,000,000 votes. I trust Protonmail. If you made a password manager, I would also trust the password manager. Nevertheless, a fundamental and indispensible aspect of Protonmail is that Protonmail cannot possibly access the keys. Your service is analogous to putting money in a bank vault. If you were to offer a password manager service, that would be only a few degrees away from writing the combination to the bank vault on the front of the bank vault. For a more concrete risk: if you have the password manager and the emails, that makes it easier for a court order to get closer to the email contents. (I know that it doesn't automatically make it possible, but it does make it easier.) As a former prosecutor, I implore you not to make it easier for governments to get to the emails. And, as a former system/network administrator, I must remind you that part of your job is to protect users from themselves. Please, reject this idea.

• Luís Bragança commented  · 

You can use fully open-source applications for that.
        I use KeePass 2 for my Desktop, TinyKeePass on Android (available on F-Droid) and Tusk (extension) on my web browsers. These 3 programs are fully open-source and since they all use the KeePass protocol they're all considered safe.
        There are already lots of open-source password managers. I think we should give share new and nonexistent ideas for proton team.

• Tohoo Vavohoo commented  · 

There's a ton of great password applications out there. No reason for this company to spend time on it! Lots of other things you could be doing that haven't been done well.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I'd definitely use the ProtonMail Password Manager / Vault for life. I've been using LastPass for the past 3 years, but as easy and convenient as it offers, I still feel doubtful as the company has not clarified how and where our data are stored and used and it is also based in the US which makes it all the more scary, considering how powerful the government is. I've switched most of my email accounts to ProtonMail. I must say I've never felt any safer with any companies as with the ProtonMail Team.

• Are Lomsdalen commented  · 

I would gladly pay extra for this feature.
        I paid for a VPN service ($7/month), before you gave us ProtonVPN
        Paying $30 per month, is ,in my opinion, a steal for all the services you provide.

• Hugo Peek commented  · 

I'm also happy with using Keepass still and would rather see an option to securely backup (and possibly share) my keepass database, instead of yet another password manager.

• Anonymous commented  · 

ProtonTechnologies could host a bitwarden instance for us to store our encrypted password data with them. As a Bitwarden user it is a fine product, but I am not a fan how it is hosted on Azure under the US's jurisdiction. PM could buy a license to host it.

• Anonymous commented  · 

they do this already its called dashlane /bitwarden they would be wasting there time if they did this

• openInvent commented  · 

I made a similar idea for a dongle type password that is like file upload but only gets the MD5/SHA of file and then uses that as a password. I posted about it here http://g0pg.xyz/filepassword I want to make it myself with php and mySQL

• elizabot commented  · 

I currently use lastpass premium. I am happy that my data is encrypted by them but am no longer happy with my data being stored on US or EU data servers. I would switch and pay for the service

• Anonymous commented  · 

Obsolete. Especially synchronizing it across several devices opens up a password manager to various attack angles.

It's like sharing your girl friend with 100 guys and trusting her not to catch any STDs!

• Anonymous commented  · 

Lastpass is great but now that it has been bought by Logmein etc I don't really trust them .. 1Pass and others mentioned here where the passwords are kept locally are sort of OK, except that what if you have a few computers and locations? Hosting these on a Proton server might be a good idea ...
        Meantime, a simpler searchable database on Proton X for URLs/ Passwords and address/ fill, routing info etc would be great. Copy and paste .. might be good enough if there are too many security holes when automatically filling in forms

• James commented  · 

There's already open source password managers like Keepass and Bitwarden. I would rather see people support what's already out there.

• Julian commented  · 

Dilutes focus, there are enough services that do this well already.

• Anonymous commented  · 

@Merlyn
        KeePassX (in Gnu/Linux platform) is the ideal one to be stored all your passwords and credentials in your own computer. Do not trust any third party server to host such sensitive data.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base