Data Retention Policies For Proton Unlimited
I recently came across the ability for Proton business plans to have data retention policies in place. While I understand that this feature is primarily designed for businesses and organizations that need to manage data according to specific policies, I think it could also be extremely useful for individual users.
For example, many standard users have important emails that they need to retain for several years, such as banking and financial correspondence, tax-related emails, contracts, invoices, insurance documents, and other legal or administrative records. At the same time, users may also receive a large amount of less important email that they don't necessarily want to keep indefinitely.
Having a configurable data retention policy would give individual users much better control over their mailbox. It could allow users to automatically retain certain emails for a specified period while removing older messages that are no longer needed. Ideally, this could be configurable based on folders, labels, senders, or other criteria, rather than being limited to a single retention period for the entire mailbox.
I think this would be a valuable addition to Proton Unlimited, or potentially to all paid Proton Mail plans. Privacy isn't only about protecting data from third parties; it's also about giving users control over how long their own data is stored.
Last edited by bad time simulator a day ago