Expand Proton Pass auto-lock duration options
Please expand the available options for the “Auto-lock after” setting in Proton Pass.
The current auto-lock duration options are too limited for users who want Proton Pass to stay unlocked longer on trusted personal devices while still keeping automatic locking enabled as a safety mechanism.
Suggested new options:
- 1 day
- 1 week
- 1 month
- Custom
For the Custom option, users should be able to enter a numeric value and select the unit:
- Minutes
- Hours
- Days
- Weeks
- Months
Example custom values:
- 12 hours
- 3 days
- 2 weeks
- 2 months
Why this matters:
Different users have different threat models. On shared or work devices, short auto-lock intervals are appropriate. But on a private, trusted desktop, short lock intervals can create unnecessary friction and make Proton Pass less convenient to use throughout the day.
Adding longer and customizable auto-lock durations would let users choose the right balance between convenience and security for their own environment.
-
Ali
commented
I am new to the Proton ecosystem and came knowing how great and secure it is, that's why I am trying to help making things even better, so If I can suggest more unlocking options/intervals, they would be as below:
Immediately: Locks or logs out the exact moment you navigate away, minimize, or close focus.
Minutes: Choose from 1 minute, 5 minutes, 15 minutes, or 30 minutes.Hours: Choose from 1 hour or 4 hours.Custom: Enter a specific number of minutes or hours manually.
Never: Keeps the vault permanently unlocked until manually closed or triggered by an app exit. That is different from "None" option currently available, the suggested "Never" option, with this one, you would still need to unlock the app but it will stay unlocked until you close it or upon browser restart or app restart as I mentioned below.
Restart: Activates the timeout action specifically when the browser or application is completely closed and reopened.
On System Lock: Activates when your operating system locks or goes to the screensaver (available on Desktop apps and specific browser extension integrations).
Also, I would suggest more unlocking method available to users to choose how they set the unlocking method, some of which is, PIN, account password, biometric (Windows Hello, etc.).
-
Robert Orzanna commented
I'm finding it quite annoying that the app locks automatically after four hours and there is no way to extend this. Can this feature be implemented? I would like to define myself how long I want to wait until the app locks, preferably never because my phone is always locked and secured by fingerprint.