How can we improve ProtonMail?

ProtonMail Bridge for Linux

I don't have a Windows or OSX machine, so ProtonMail Bridge doesn't appear to be an option for me. Is there any way Bridge for Linux could happen? The site says it's coming soon, but when is soon?

1,347 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Arthur shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

63 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In response to Jim C.

Because ProtonMail sends the email to the client encrypted. And Thunderbird / Enigmail doesn't know how to handle it, so they need a bridge which get the email, decrypt it and handle it to the final client.

• Jim C. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm on Linux. So what I don't understand is that I have ProtonVPN and I have Thunderbird / Enigmail. What's the problem with accessing Protonmail? I don't understand... why do I need a bridge?

• Anonimowy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When it will be available in stable channel? This is one of two reasons why I am holding back with buying paid plan.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ugggg.....it was my understanding i would be able to manage my ProtonMail with Thunderbird if i was a paid user... So I just upgraded.....Now it appears the Linux bridge is not yet available. Thats not too honest....

• bcwmeh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another bump for a Linux-Thunder-Proton bridge! Long overdue, and much needed.

• NM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You need to send a message to the team at bridge@protonmail.ch to get the Invite.
        Only paid ProtonMail users can access the Bridge Linux version at this time.

• DPB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I, too, am waiting for the Linux Bridge before signing up. Two months ago Customer Support wrote to me: "Please sign-up for a ProtonMail account and upgrade to a paid plan in order for us to send you an invite for the Linux Bridge application." I suppose I will try it. I'm hoping the Bridge will be compatible with the Alpine client.

Could ProtonMail please officially confirm that the Linux Bridge is available, or give a release date (it said for a while 'early 2018'). For me that is the decision point for a paid account.

• coot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a pro user, and I got email with the download link after subscribing somewhere. You can always write an email to protonmail, they respond fairly quickly.

Wow... It says its available for windows, mac and linux..
        After I paid for a 1 year subscription, then I noticed it is not available for linux..
        How can I get a refund?

Please make sure the upcomming Protonmail Bridge for Linux also works under Raspbian on a Raspberry Pi, since many people use such a device as an always on cost-efficient home automation server.

• Me commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add the bridge or even email client for linux and f-droid please. Your clients are people with higher than average population, and as such are not comfortable with using windows or goole play store, and are happy with the protonmail at the same time and for the same reason.
        Protonmail is doing an awesome job, in showing their understanding of privacy and even value of anonymity (see their https://protonirockerxow.onion), which is a huge step ahead of the competition. The GDPR is actually addressing mandatory pseudonymity, or even anonymity of the private data, its private data encryption standard with encryption and decryption procedures, both happening directly in the computer and not in the cloud and much more, which is precisely what protonmail is doing.

I am a paying customer, and using protonmail with my company`s custom domain, is just a logical output from the decision to have my company data safe.

(Considering the anglosas law system, the email named "Order" or "Order confirmation", received from the official company email address, is considered as an official order of goods or services, by which the company is bound to fulfill it. Did you know that? Your insecure email address can break your spine if hacked.)

So I add myself to the crowd asking the protonmail to give us linux bridge or a protonmail-only client. And if you guys would manage to give us f-droid repo, it would be with a standing ovation form all of us.

p.s. did you guys understand the impact of the GDPR on the near future? Seriously check it, and the business opportunity jumps on you like a gold bullion :)

• theologymatters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just got a ProtonMail account today, and I'm willing to jump to a paid account the minute the bridge is done and I can hook this up to my Thunderbird install. From what I'm reading, the team is working on this--thank you, and press on! This can't come soon enough! +2

would love to get the bridge for linux so that i can use the account to my full needs

The last brick to build a wall against GAFA, a Linux with ThunderProton, to have the right of intimacy in our email. We are waiting for you.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base