How can we improve ProtonMail?

ProtonMail Bridge for Linux

I don't have a Windows or OSX machine, so ProtonMail Bridge doesn't appear to be an option for me. Is there any way Bridge for Linux could happen? The site says it's coming soon, but when is soon?

1,344 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Arthur shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

68 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What i would like to have is a standalone commandline interface / daemon that does not require the gazillion of qt and other graphical libraries as dependencies. That kind of bridge would work almost anywhere, reduce the attack surface of the code etc. Why did you chose to have the commandline interface the same executable as the GUI version?

• David Lemler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the emails with the download links, there is an attached file with instructions on how to extract the required files from the .deb package for installation on any system, even if it doesn't support .deb packages. Once Protonmail (including the bridge and mobile apps) becomes fully open source, I'm sure others could make Snap/Flatpak/AppImage versions of the bridge that would be cross-distribution.

• L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide a web interface that goes to the local bridge server.

1. Without changing away from the standard ProtonMail web interface, we can take advantage of message body search.

2. Without changing away from the standard ProtonMail web interface, we can be using signed code and be protected from intrusions of ProtonMail servers.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to have the bridge as a flatpak. That would let it work easily on nearly all distros.

• Mar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In response to Jim C.

Because ProtonMail sends the email to the client encrypted. And Thunderbird / Enigmail doesn't know how to handle it, so they need a bridge which get the email, decrypt it and handle it to the final client.

• Jim C. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm on Linux. So what I don't understand is that I have ProtonVPN and I have Thunderbird / Enigmail. What's the problem with accessing Protonmail? I don't understand... why do I need a bridge?

• Anonimowy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When it will be available in stable channel? This is one of two reasons why I am holding back with buying paid plan.

Ugggg.....it was my understanding i would be able to manage my ProtonMail with Thunderbird if i was a paid user... So I just upgraded.....Now it appears the Linux bridge is not yet available. Thats not too honest....

• bcwmeh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another bump for a Linux-Thunder-Proton bridge! Long overdue, and much needed.

• NM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You need to send a message to the team at bridge@protonmail.ch to get the Invite.
        Only paid ProtonMail users can access the Bridge Linux version at this time.

• DPB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I, too, am waiting for the Linux Bridge before signing up. Two months ago Customer Support wrote to me: "Please sign-up for a ProtonMail account and upgrade to a paid plan in order for us to send you an invite for the Linux Bridge application." I suppose I will try it. I'm hoping the Bridge will be compatible with the Alpine client.

Could ProtonMail please officially confirm that the Linux Bridge is available, or give a release date (it said for a while 'early 2018'). For me that is the decision point for a paid account.

• coot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a pro user, and I got email with the download link after subscribing somewhere. You can always write an email to protonmail, they respond fairly quickly.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base