How can we improve ProtonMail?

Can I place a folder within a folder? A hierarchy of folders/files?

32 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Scott C Biggs shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MHK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Every major email provider allows sub-folders. ProtonMail isn't a real viable alternative to gmail until this feature is implemented.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't think of a single major email app that doesn't have drag n drop sub folders.

Proton Mail is great for low volumes. But once you've accumulated a large body of emails, organizing based on a linear folder list (e.g. non-hierarchical, alpha sort) is a non-starter.

In addition, the left pane (folder list) should have a resizable width to accommodate long folder names.

This is beyond silly...gmail, outlook, startmail - everyone has this basic feature.

• SereneGreen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No the folders can't be created within a folder. I just tried it for the Android app and it does not work. Whatever folders you want to make will appear in one easy list and less clicking back and forth through subfolders. I suggest putting the folders in alphabetical order according to your language so it is easy to scroll the list and find what you want.

Or use the same folder color for folders that are related so it will be easy to scroll the list and find what you want. I don't know if the folder order can be rearranged after they are created. You will have to experiment and see how it works.

If the Folders can't be rearranged after being created you could make a mail folder for each letter of the alphabet and at least the emails would be in folders by first letter of the subject or sender. Or if you don't want that many folders you make folders named A-E, F-J, 0-9 etc or how ever many letters you want to group together.

Even though I have been a Plus user for a couple years I prefer to use the free version of the Labels method with the single Archive folder. If for some reason my Plus subscription goes unpaid or I decide I don't want to subscribe anymore I don't have to worry about mail folders with email being lost when switching back to free or having to manually move emails to the Archive folder and label the emails.

Feedback and Knowledge Base