Trackpad pinch-to-zoom (view-only) in Proton Mail desktop app for Mac
I am a long-time Proton user and I would like to suggest a feature for the Proton Mail desktop app for Mac: a view-only zoom that can be controlled with the MacBook trackpad (pinch-to-zoom), both when reading emails and when composing them.
THE PROBLEM
On an ultra-wide or 4K monitor, or when you are tired or older, the text in the Proton Mail desktop app is very small, and there is currently no way to magnify it comfortably. The only workaround is to increase the font size of the email I am writing, but that changes the email itself, and the recipient sees oversized text and may wonder why my messages look strange. I want to enlarge what I see on my screen without changing anything in the message that is actually sent.
WHAT I AM ASKING FOR
- A zoom function that changes only how the app is displayed on my screen, not the content or formatting of the email.
- Support for the trackpad pinch gesture on MacBook, as this is the most natural way to do it.
- It should work in both the reading pane and the compose window.
- Optionally, keyboard shortcuts (Cmd + and Cmd -) and a trackpad zoom settings in Preferences for people who prefer them.
HOW IT WORKS ELSEWHERE (you can try it yourself)
- Native Apple Mail app on iPhone and iPad: open any email and pinch to zoom in and out. The email is magnified on screen only, and the sender's formatting and the recipient's view are unaffected.
- Microsoft Outlook for Mac: emails can be zoomed in and out on screen in the same way, again without changing the actual content.
WHERE IT IS MISSING
- Proton Mail desktop app for Mac: no way to zoom the email view with the trackpad, which is the main reason for this request.
- Native Apple Mail on macOS: it also lacks pinch-to-zoom for message content, so this is a gap across the Mac mail ecosystem. Proton could offer something that even Apple's own app does not.
OTHER PROTON DESKTOP APPS
If Proton offers other desktop apps for Mac where it makes sense (for example Proton Calendar or Proton Drive), the same view-zoom option would help there too. But Proton Mail is where I need it most.
This would be a real accessibility and comfort improvement for anyone using large, high-resolution or ultra-wide displays, or anyone who simply prefers larger text on screen, or older people who need to zoom sometimes. I would be very happy to see it considered for a future release.
Thank you for your time and for the great product.