Lumo is great at Math, but bad at Latex!
I am finding that Lumo is shockingly good at the type of math I do, professionally.
I am seriously thinking about buying the Lumo+ extension.
However it is very frustrating, at times, by the way it handles Latex in its answers.
1) Sometime the latex expression is not properly displayed as math, but just as a bunch of code. The latter is of course hard(er) to parse.
2) When asked to produce latex code, the output is often buggy and contains nonstandard unicode symbols. It rarely compiles out of the box.
3) When asked to produce small latex code (to be copy/pasted), it displays it as math and it's hard to copy paste. I have found that I can fix this by asking Lumo to wrap the latex code between ``` symbols, so that it is displayed as code in the Markdown-compatible chat.
-
Shafiq Khan commented
I agree that mathematics becomes much more interesting when students understand the reasoning behind the solution instead of simply following memorized algorithms. Tools that let learners practice and check their calculations can also be helpful alongside conceptual learning. [Alicia Calculators](https://alicia-calculadora.com/) is one useful resource for quick online calculations. Great discussion!
-
Henry commented
I agree that AI tools have become surprisingly capable for mathematical work, but proper LaTeX handling is still a major challenge. Accurate rendering and clean, copy-paste-ready code are essential for researchers, students, and professionals. That's why I also appreciate dedicated math resources like https://calculadoraaliciaonline.com/, which focus on providing reliable mathematical calculations and tools in a straightforward way.