How can we improve ProtonMail?

Improve addressing with extension character; allow hyphen (-); use correct sender address.

1. Add the use of a hyphen (-) as the extension character, in addition to plus (+). Reasoning is below.

2. When a message arrives for example-bob@protonmail.com, replies sent by the recipient should automatically show example-bob@protonmail.com as both the header sender and the envelope sender. The reason should be obvious.

Why hyphen (-) in addition to plus (+). The use of plus (+) tells people that you are using an extension, while the use of hyphen (-) makes the address look like an ordinary address.

Many buggy websites reject email addresses that contain a plus.

For additional reasoning see the original documents that were published by Dan Bernstein when he wrote qmail in the nineteen nineties, and chose to use a hyphen rather than a plus.

1,129 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
L shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm surprised that the ProtonMail developers have not in any way responded to this request even though it has collected more than a thousand votes.

At what voting threshold do they respond?

Even if they are not going to implement a feature (which understandably will happen due to limited resources or their own design preferences), shouldn't they take a minute to post some sort of response?

• SkidX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From my discussions with protonmail support, this issue and alias problems in general will never be corrected. i suggest unhappy consumers vote on playstore. It seems the only place they take notice and also ask for $ back or a discount on your next renewal.

I have found using the webapp version on Android to be a far more pleasant and usefull experience. Using the webapp you can actually reply to en email thta has contacted you via an alias address WITH THE VERY SAME alias address. Something not possible with the "dedicated" android app

• Mad As commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

...and yet ANOTHER alias defect:

1. Write up an email with the correct alias showing as the [Sender]/[Reply To].
    2. Save as draft
    3. Reopen draft
    4. [Sender]/[Reply To] has switched back to the underlying, base email with NO WAY to restore the desired alias that was originally selected/exposed.

Really proton Devs, you've got a bit of cheek to be considering new functionality when your base functionality is so half baked, especially when you have paying customers for that functionality to be in place.

• t5q commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Try "%2b" instead of "+". Some sites can be fooled by that.

Try on the form field and also, if needed, in the address bar itself.

htps://example.com/verify=user%2balias@pm.me

• Casper Jonquil Mad as Hell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's evident that the "-" dash or negative sign is reserved by protonmail; you cannot make a base email address with this character in the string.

So proton Devs, if you've reserved it, can't you then just open it up to the "-" sign and ditch the "+" plus sign.

Feedback and Knowledge Base