How can we improve ProtonMail?

*Unlimited* Disposable Email Aliases

Startmail explains it perfectly. They offer unlimited disposable aliases, which expire within a given amount of time. They also offer custom aliases which can be saved and used indefinitely.

It is the disposable alias which will help protect privacy, when submiting an email to an untrusted recipient. After all, how much privacy do we have if our fixed emails become the foundation for building and selling our marketing profiles, just as is done by gmail. We limit personal activity virtual trails by disposing of aliases for casual uses. But, unlike custom aliases, which build on our identifiable original email address, disposable aliases divert from our true email identity by utilizing a sub-domain created for this specific purpose, such as: xxx@tda.protonmail.com (tda = temporary disposable alias)

You avoid abuse by limiting disposable alias creation on a daily basis. Perhaps 5 max per day.

Here is Startmail's explanation:

https://support.startmail.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/3/0/aliases

The Blur service (by Abine) also offers a "masked mail" free service. But their service is not encrypted:

https://dnt.abine.com/#feature/masking

4,986 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    LUH3417 shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

42 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

the guerrillamail problem would not apply if you likit the feature to custom domains. otherwise this might lead to blocking of the "normal" @protonmail.com adresses...

But i do think that their silence on some features is telling us enough about their modus operandi. well i will definitly switch if that feature and real pgp support aren't added by june when my current plan ends.

i mean how damn hard is it to add this or pgp? protonmail is still a closed system in regards to encrypted email to other users. pity it started really good.

• Anonymous commented  · 

It has probably been said already but most sites are catching on to Guerrilla Mail. It would be nice to have a fresh player. For the DEV's Check Guerrillamail.com I would pay for this feature if it works.

• David commented  · 

Love the idea, though it might be something you plan when your service starts. It might be hard to implement this now.

Maybe using randomly generated aliases like example+qSe520ExW@protomail.com and letting them expire after x days or as long you need to would be quicker to add.

Once the alias is expired, you block all incoming mails. Mails would be only delivered to example+qSe520ExW@protomail.com and not to example@protomail.com.

If the address is leaked spammers won't be able to send their mails. I suggest adding this feature to user domains only because if you add something like @disp.protonmail.com (disp stands for disposable) websites will know this email is worthless.

• Jan Korous commented  · 

I would love protonmail implement something like mailhero.io does. You register some prefix (e. g. myusername@protonmail.com) and can use and manage all virtual sub-addresses (e. g. foo.myusername@...).

• n5i4inti4ntinio4ti commented  · 

Would be handy for signing up with certain sites without getting a huge ton of spam and newsletters and such.

I understand that some sites hate people having disposable email addresses, mostly due to spam. ProtonMail already has spam filters in place scanning inbound and outbound emails, and they could also limit the number of emails sent from these disposable addresses to maybe 5 per day. It would also greatly increase privacy by preventing a digital trail of the exact email addresses across many sites.

• Claus commented  · 

GREAT SUGGESTION. I believe you could also implement it in the following way. Do not have temporary disposable alias, but give users an x number of really random email addresses per x amount of time.

For instance: hr8s4lgrrg5wngkgl84j8wjk@cloak.protonmail.ch

Nobody will claim such a thing and keeping it linked to the main account shouldn't be so hard.

You could also use something like a sha512(email, creation_date, secret_sauce).

Maybe you could use something like that to create a non permanent email folder, a bit like bitmessage and perhaps more like bitmessage if you would like to use it as an anonymization feature.

In this way you could still get your email indefinitely (nice for accounts), but not have the system clog up with random news letters and such. This would also mean that users will probably have way less email on your systems, saving you cost etc.

Everybody happy!

• nickle commented  · 

Growing pains? Users pay, have demands and expect results......its tough once you are a fee for service. A reply from Protonmail would be appreciated.

• RoughCut commented  · 

This is obviously just too hard to implement. I think all you voters and posters should go and focus on something else or go somewhere else. Protonmail is just not going to deliver.

• Anonymous commented  · 

...and the under review result is? Ignore?

• Willy commented  · 

Hellooooo......time for an update thanks Protonmail.

• Mi St commented  · 

after over 100 days of so called "review", it is obvious they cannot or will not implement this feature. At least there has been a pretty thorough discussion of the issue, and I have learned much just reading the debate. It doesn't matter to me as much that they are not implementing it, as that after all this time and the number of votes cast, I have gotten a really negative picture of the management's attitude at protonmail. Nearly 4K votes! And no company reaction? MAKE IT HAPPEN NOW!

• Fritz commented  · 

a blur version with swiss finish would be perfect, one of the best browser apps I ever had, was/is Blur form abine.com but what a pitty that all the datas go to the US…

• Willy commented  · 

Right! Now flirting with Startmail....

• Anonymous commented  · 

Fastmail has this also! Please add this in.

• Lupe commented  · 

I gots the plus sign rejected by website all the times. So frustrating.

• Willy commented  · 

LUH3417,

Their silence is statement enough.

Interested in starting a GoFundMe campaign to get their attention?

Willy.

• Too Dumb commented  · 

Is this is being ignored?

Too hard basket?

Or a case of "ït's the users fault; they just don't understand and hopefully they'll give-up and go away"?

• Willy commented  · 

The use of the "+" sign in the alias fails with so many services. It's useless.

FAIL!

• Des da mona commented  · 

Protonas, evidently something you can't ignore anymore.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base