How can we improve ProtonMail?

*Unlimited* Disposable Email Aliases

Startmail explains it perfectly. They offer unlimited disposable aliases, which expire within a given amount of time. They also offer custom aliases which can be saved and used indefinitely.

It is the disposable alias which will help protect privacy, when submiting an email to an untrusted recipient. After all, how much privacy do we have if our fixed emails become the foundation for building and selling our marketing profiles, just as is done by gmail. We limit personal activity virtual trails by disposing of aliases for casual uses. But, unlike custom aliases, which build on our identifiable original email address, disposable aliases divert from our true email identity by utilizing a sub-domain created for this specific purpose, such as: xxx@tda.protonmail.com (tda = temporary disposable alias)

You avoid abuse by limiting disposable alias creation on a daily basis. Perhaps 5 max per day.

Here is Startmail's explanation:

https://support.startmail.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/3/0/aliases

The Blur service (by Abine) also offers a "masked mail" free service. But their service is not encrypted:

https://dnt.abine.com/#feature/masking

4,050 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    LUH3417LUH3417 shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

36 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • nicklenickle commented  · 

Growing pains? Users pay, have demands and expect results......its tough once you are a fee for service. A reply from Protonmail would be appreciated.

• RoughCutRoughCut commented  · 

This is obviously just too hard to implement. I think all you voters and posters should go and focus on something else or go somewhere else. Protonmail is just not going to deliver.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

...and the under review result is? Ignore?

• WillyWilly commented  · 

Hellooooo......time for an update thanks Protonmail.

• Mi StMi St commented  · 

after over 100 days of so called "review", it is obvious they cannot or will not implement this feature. At least there has been a pretty thorough discussion of the issue, and I have learned much just reading the debate. It doesn't matter to me as much that they are not implementing it, as that after all this time and the number of votes cast, I have gotten a really negative picture of the management's attitude at protonmail. Nearly 4K votes! And no company reaction? MAKE IT HAPPEN NOW!

• FritzFritz commented  · 

a blur version with swiss finish would be perfect, one of the best browser apps I ever had, was/is Blur form abine.com but what a pitty that all the datas go to the US…

Right! Now flirting with Startmail....

• Anonymous commented  · 

Fastmail has this also! Please add this in.

• LupeLupe commented  · 

I gots the plus sign rejected by website all the times. So frustrating.

LUH3417,

Their silence is statement enough.

Interested in starting a GoFundMe campaign to get their attention?

Willy.

• Too DumbToo Dumb commented  · 

Is this is being ignored?

Too hard basket?

Or a case of "ït's the users fault; they just don't understand and hopefully they'll give-up and go away"?

The use of the "+" sign in the alias fails with so many services. It's useless.

FAIL!

• Des da monaDes da mona commented  · 

Protonas, evidently something you can't ignore anymore.

• SnapeSnape commented  · 

Trond commented · June 10, 2017 11:04 PM - Well done, you get it. +3 points for Slytherin.
        Anonymous commented · June 5, 2017 7:35 AM - I pity that you don't get it. -3 points for Hufflepuff.

• DazeeDazee commented  · 

This is one of the features that would make protonmail even greater than it already is! 3 votes from me.

• LUH3417LUH3417 commented  · 

Trond, the services I have seen that offer this function, such as Blur, do not recycle the email aliases. They are created using random characters, such as pc34bch8@tda.protonmail.com. Using random characters can create innumerable aliases. You would not need to delete every single alias you create. One could be used at a number of similar, less trustworthy web sites to register. Only when you feel you are receiving spam forwarded through that alias, then you would want to delete it. You could utilize a particular disposable alias for a long time without needing to delete it.

But, this suggestion for disposable aliases is because Protonmail initially offered a very limited number of aliases slots to use. And once those have been created and/or deleted, they greatly limit creation of new ones. The number of active aliases does not have to be unlimited. Maybe it would be limited to 10 or so. What would be unlimited is the ability to replace an alias with a new one, if the need arises. And Protonmail could place some limitations there to prevent abuse. Such as only 3 or 5 alias replacements per month.

Someone earlier, addressed the possibility of abuse of a disposable alias. The suggestion is for it to be unlimited but not in the sense of being able to use hundreds without any controls in place. The idea is to allow only a limited number of active aliases at one time. But, with the difference being, that once you delete an alias, you are able to replace it. Abuse can be contained because if spam is reported to Protonmail, they either issue a warning, or disable the account immediately. Protonmail does not need to be able to view your email activities to find out about abuses. Often spam abuses are reported to the owner of the domain, with the offending email address/alias named.

• TrondTrond commented  · 

Thinking about it, i don't think they should be disposable. What if user A use abc@tdn.protonmail.com to register on example.com, then user B comes along and register the same disposable address. User B will then possibly receive private information from example.com that was meant for user A (and C, D, E, F, G....), he may even reset the password and will be able to do everything that User A would for his account on example.com. That can very potentially be a huge privacy nightmare.

• TrondTrond commented  · 

I like this idea very much! Just as you would never use the same password on two different websites you could start NOT using the same email-address on two different websites as well. That would not only defeat snoopers from linking accounts, give the user increased privacy, lessen the spam, but also give increased security! We often use the same email address to register everywhere, that email address is often our single point of failure. By using different email addresses every time you register somewhere it would lessen the chance that a attacker will be able to access anything else, even if the user happened to use the same password everywhere.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

This seems like a pointless feature to offer. If you don't want to give out your personal email, you make a separate one strictly for the purpose of knowing you'll be spammed. If you're so worried about your virtual trail, use a high quality VPN alongside an encrypted email service. No one can truly be anonymous online when actively sending details over to someone else. It's the very interaction that puts you at risk. Unless you know how to use pgp code for every single interaction you have online, something like a disposable email is not going to help you.

The only thing I see about this post is, "I'd like the spam the hell out of people... can Protonmail help me out?"

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base