Skip to content

Proton Mail

385 results found

1. Turn off notifications on Linux

I have just installed the Proton Mail App on my Linux Mint. I never had any notifications on, but suddenly, I get a notification for every email.

I don't want that - please add a setting in All settings to enable me to turn off desktop notifications.

As far as I know, Linux Mint doesn't have it's own per-app setting for notifications.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Easy Switch improvements

I tried to import emails from a specific website in my Gmail to Proton but I can't do that. It would be a really helpful option if that were possible.

Right now the only way to have that as an option is to import a specific label. So, I can create a new, unique label for emails from that website and then import just that label.

However, there is no easy way to find that label when importing. I have over 100 labels and I have to manually unselect each just to import one label.

Options like "unselect all labels"…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Make desktop apps free

It would be very nice if the desktop app become free for everyone.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Disable ability to click email links

When looking at attack vectors the possibility to click on a link is one of the important attack vectors for mail.
    I would recommend a optional function where a user can turn off link clicking completely.

Like others suggested you could in addition provide a option where you still allow to copy a link with a button.

Another good suggestion I saw was to highlight the domain within a link

In combination with disabling content loading this will be very effective to mitigating most threats.

Finally you could make a function where users are give the option to scan…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Rule progress indicator (mail X/X mails)

Show a bit more feedback when a rule is being (re)applied. Show which rule is currently processing and how far it is, ex: 'processing 123/888 mails' or a percentage.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Preview Sender Email and Recipient Email

We currently can see the name of a sender in the Inbox view, but an enhanced view option would help me and I'm sure others. I'll elaborate... When a ProtonMail member has multiple email aliases set up, it would be beneficial for us to be able to see a preview line without opening an email which would show the email address the sender is sending from AND the email address the sender sent the email to (i.e. one of our aliases). This would help members be able to better identify possible spam/phishing attempts. I would imagine this could be set…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Automated folder filtering during Easy Switch

Setting up Gmail forwarding as a new user to Proton almost made me quit the platform, it was so daunting to have that much data thrown at me. Setting up an easy transition like a dedicated Gmail forwarding folder option would make the transition alot easier for new users. Or predetermined filters that new users could setup, for example anything Social media related is filtered into a folder along with anything on a newsletter list.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Customize email notifications per product

I'd like to be able to control notifications for email separately from notifications for calendar. On both MacOS and iOS, I only see one place to configure notifications and it affects both mail and calendar. If I must receive a notification for every single email, then to avoid this continuous distraction, I'm forced to disable notifications altogether, meaning I won't receive any notifications for my calendar appointments.

Additionally, whether or not to see the red unread message count overlayed on my Proton Mail icon in MacOS should be configurable. That's another unneeded distraction.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Manage Filters in iOS App

Allow us to create, edit, and delete filters in the iOS app. At the very least, just adding the checkbox at the bottom "Always move sender's emails" that currently exists in the web version would be great! I mostly just use that. I mostly manage my email on my phone, but am forced to log in on my computer to simply add a filter for mail that I don't need cluttering my inbox.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Improved synchronization error resistance in Proton Mail Bridge

I really like the option to use Proton Mail Bridge to be able to get my Proton Mail account into Outlook.

However, the Bridge is lacking a bit when it comes to resistance against synchronization errors. I have had several instances when the message count is different between Outlook and the Proton Mail web app.

I need to be 100 % sure that what I see in Outlook matches what I see in the web app, and vice versa. Some sort of built-in folder/message comparing feature would be nice to have. I understand that the way things work with Bridge,…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Reset label search box after selecting label

When I search for a label and apply it, I often want to add a second label as well. It would be great if the search box automatically reset upon selection so that I can immediately search for my second (and third, ...) label.

If it helps: how Gmail does it. This is probably my #1 UX annoyance after switching.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add section to delete or edit a contact

Allow delete or edit of contacts somewhere in settings or under mail, too hard to find now

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Contact improvements

please check the management of group of contacts :
    - there is a blocking on the number of contacts inside a same group which is not pleasant....
    - why it is not allowed to give a group to a contact who has no email adress ?
    - why is it not possible to delete of create a group of contacts

thanks for your work

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add Images in Auto-Reply message

Coming from Google, one feature that we had to give up was the use of images in Auto-Replies. Having an image helps us easily convey more feeling in the message, and it is a sorely missed feature after switching to Proton from Google. Maybe this would be an easy change to the Auto-Reply feature?

Thank you for your consideration.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Switch protonmail.com to proton.me

For all usernames, both are blocked, as @pm.me (as reception address) is assigned to them. Some time ago, new users could only choose between @protonmail.ch and @protonmail.com - there was no @proton.me option.

Hence, it would be nice to allow older users using the @proton.me address for sending and receiving - as it already exists on the servers, anyway.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Backup & recovery of e-mails including folder structure and labels

The export tool and the import-export app need the ability to keep the folder structure and labels.

After having to restore hundreds of lost e-mails during an account migration I just discovered that the export tool appears to export all emails but not their location (i.e. sent and received e-mails all appear in one folder, and no folder structure whatsoever is exported). Furthermore, the import-export app only allows to restrict an import to a specific time period, but it does not allow to import certain folders from a backup back into the correct destination folders and using the correct source…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Management of message expiry in filters and in the APP

I use filters to tag my incoming mails depending on the subjet, sender address and destination address.

I would love to be able to add an expiry period (1week, 1month, 3months, 1 year) as additional action in the filter. This would allow to automatically delete old and useless messages without having to browse through them.

I would also love to have a minimal expiry management in the APP.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Aliases like anything@username.proton.me

Hi,
    As an alternative format to the unlimited aliases using the “+” sign, can you also allow for the following format?: anything@username.proton.me

I think this is a cleaner looking address. Also, although I haven't encountered one .... yet, I have read that some sites that don't allow addresses with the '+' sign in them.
    Having only the 'anything' in front of the '@' symbol makes it look cleaner, more professional, easier to identify and looks less like an alias.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Improve usability on wide-screen iPads - persistent folder list

iOS will discontinue PWAs leaving the Proton Mail app the main option to access mails. The main difference between the PWA and the app has been that the folder list is fixed in the PWA, while it moves automatically out in the app, as the app is overwhelmingly used on vertically held mobile phone screens. But for wider iPad screens a small ‚pin needle‘ could allow the user to fix the folder list on the screen leading to a better user experience and an almost identical user experience.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Improved Folder Options

I have two ideas that I think would be great:

1) The folder automatically sees all the senders added to the folder and a new option (toggle) allows you to automatically add all of them to a rule that automatically sorts the senders into this folder (a check box could allow all current emails to be sorted in as well as all future emails) - this is automatically updated when a new sender is added to the folder. In settings, you can changed the settings for each folder > sender, for example to allow push notifications for a certain sender…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base