Seperate ProtonMail & ProtonVPN usernames
PROTONMAIL PLUS USER
I can't believe I have to ask ProtonMail for this!
Decent VPN companies don't even let you set a username to avoid human error in leaking personal identifiable information, instead, they give you randomized usernames, take Mullvad as an example.
Instead of going in that direction, ProtonMail does the opposite, but far worse.
As a PM user, you are stuck with the same username, forever. It's a permanent record. Having the same username forever for e-mail and VPN is a security nightmare.
1. If you use ProtonVPN, this means you are using ProtonMail too.
2. Imagine using the username to login to ProtonVPN in public with prying eyes on each corner.
3. If your VPN is hacked, your email is hacked too.
4. If you share your VPN with your family/friends, they already know your ProtonMail username and if they're hacked, you pay the consequences.
5. What if you regret putting PII in your PM username and you want to change that, well, ProtonMail says NO.
AND MANY MORE DISASTEROUS SCENARIOUS.
Now, understandable, ProtonMail it's a for profit company but they like to say they care for your privacy/security (hmmm), the only reason why they're doing this is to make you not share your VPN account with family/friends to maximize profits. Which compromises your security/privacy for profit (hmmm). Sorry, I can't think of any other reason.
Anyway, possible solutions:
- Make it possible to change the Proton username for all services. (CAN BE HARD BUT DOABLE)
- Ability to add up to 3-5 more usernames to all Proton services and users can chose which one to use home and which one outside when they login. (EASY)
- Make VPN login credentials completely randomized (optinally rotatable) like Mullvad or ProtonVPN OpenVPN credentials you have. Again, I can't believe I'm saying this, it should be standard. But I have to put my FIRSTNAME+LASTNAME whily trying to protect my privacy! facepalm. (EASY)
Totally agree with this request but I'll settle for two separate sets of login credentials for a proton plus customer using Mail & VPN.