How can we improve ProtonMail?

Yubikey as a second factor authentification

That would be good to integrate a protection with Yubikey for the 2 factor authentification. https://www.yubico.com/
Google already uses this feature for the mailbox. Facebook also accepts yubikey as the 2nd authentication factor.
I think that as a safety-conscious company, you should make your services compatible with yubikey.

525 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    olivierolivier shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • minarminar commented  · 

Please add U2F that would also support other devices, not just Yubikey.

• Paul RangelPaul Rangel commented  · 

Adding support for FIDO U2F would be great!

• Bjarne H. NielsenBjarne H. Nielsen commented  · 

I would also like to see this feature implemented.

That said, it is possible to use (some?) Yubikeys as TOTP tokens for 2FA (the token will need both a display and a timesource, which is why it needs to be connected to your phone or (possibly another) computer while authenticating).

• IsaacIsaac commented  · 

Please add support for U2F as soon as possible!

• Edward HuffEdward Huff commented  · 

SMS as 2FA is totally insecure because SMS can be redirected. You should mark it deprecated and scheduled for removal. Standard hardware tokens should be supported.

• Anonymous commented  · 

It would be really nice to have yubikey for 2FA. This would most certainly be a plus given that I use Yubikey to access my clients.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Please, yes, - I would love to enable 2FA for this account, but the process, compared to my usual Yubikey solution, is an absolute PiTA. - I realise that Yubikeys have to be purchased, and that they are not cheap, either; but, that said, you cannot beat just being able to authenticate yourself with a simple button press; quite aside from Yubikey being very secure (arguably more secure, in fact, that email or mobile handset solutions).

• Anonymous commented  · 

+1! @protonmailteam if you don´t want to implement that feature for "reasons" please explain them.

• Craig McgeeCraig Mcgee commented  · 

oh god!! yes!! please! yubikey is so much easier than google authenticator especially as im totally blind and having to listen to both iPhone and computer to enter the code.

• RossRoss commented  · 

OTP apps don't provide a second factor if the user is accessing their account on mobile. That's like running the OTP app on a desktop environment when accessing the account from a desktop computer. Yubikey is the best answer to this. It's a true second factor.

Also, if I'm travelling, it might be that I am asked, e.g. by border guards/security, to give access to my phone. If I have my app there, it will reveal the existence of my Protonmail account. This means I have to remove that before I travel. Yubikey would not reveal that I have a Protonmail account.

• JamesJames commented  · 

I would love to see support for Yubikey added too please!

• crypton4tecrypton4te commented  · 

i need protonmail to have Yubikey support too, it would be more convenient

• MikeMike commented  · 

I'm very excited about yubikey and I can't wait when it gonna be in protonmail. Secure and so convenient. Please add it...

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

Hardware based second factor authentication token is huge for security. I would love this feature more than anything else.

• DaggerDagger commented  · 

Absolutely a top priority as far as I'm concerned.

• m4kom4ko commented  · 

Someone called my attention on another hardware key that has also an open source hardware.
        I can not judge if it is better than Yubikey or not.
        https://www.nitrokey.com

• AlanAlan commented  · 

What Ken said: "Telling people to rely on their mobiles for 2FA doesn't make sense if you use PM on the mobile - it's not a true second factor then."

• Anonymous commented  · 

U2F support would make all the difference in the world for me. It fits my security model in ways that 2FA cannot. I travel internationally and I often change phones, so any 2FA method that relies on me having an app on my phone (SMS, Authy, etc) can fail me at critical times.

As a result, anytime I travel out of my home country, I have to disable 2FA on my PM account -- and that's exactly the worst time to have to do that.

I understand that U2F would take some (but not much) time for you to implement, but as a paying customer I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your time.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base