How can we improve ProtonMail?

"Accounts that are inactive for over 3 months may be automatically deleted." Please consider altering that policy.

"Accounts that are inactive for over 3 months may be automatically deleted."
Please consider altering that policy. Three months is way too short a time!

Why not 1-2 or more years instead of 3 months?

1,056 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anoymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

41 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Seriously messed up policy, and makes me doubt the judiciousness of the organizational team.

• L commented  · 

I think for every 10 dollars the account has spent, either payment or donations. They should add a permanent 1 month to the "will be deleted in X" up to a maximum of 10 years. Cause after 10 years they are probably dead.

• pnobulls commented  · 

Yahoo, does it after year, unless a person check their mail at least once. I don't care what is done, but a fair policy needs to be inputed, and it needs to be least longer, for many reasons.

• Sveinn í Felli commented  · 

How about first reading the TOS:
        "Although it is not the current practice now, we reserve the right to suspend or delete accounts that are inactive for over three months. This does not apply to paid accounts. Paid accounts are never subject to deletion as long as their paid status is active."

So Free accounts are subject to deletion after three months (but haven't been enforced yet), but Paid accounts are never touched, as long as you pay.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I think at minimum 12 months!

• [Deleted User] commented  · 

6 months minimum please (for free users) and optional and adjustable for paying users

• spin crisis commented  · 

Yup, 3 months is too short. I've been in hospital longer than 3 months.

• Luke Woodside commented  · 

I fully concur, Yes accounts need to be deleted but I do think three months is a little on the short side. I think having an option in the settings to set longer would help reduce the spam but allow us to keep our accounts if something really bad happens that renders our internet out.

"Or until all timed-delivery emails are sent, if that option ever becomes available. That way, whistleblowers who "disappear" or meet their end under suspicious circumstances will have a way to let responsible parties know what happened" Fantastic Idea

• lonestar007 commented  · 

Or until all timed-delivery emails are sent, if that option ever becomes available. That way, whistleblowers who "disappear" or meet their end under suspicious circumstances will have a way to let responsible parties know what happened.

• InventorInch commented  · 

Yeah 3 month is bit to short: I was in Nepali eartquic, and after that in india ( no internet in 9 month total). and at the moment my company web page is connected with protonamail. 3 month is bit riscki , please give option user to make decide like some one say in commets in here . Thanks

• Anon commented  · 

WHAT? deleted accounts? what if i'm in a hospital and I have here all my recovery addresses for stuff like bank,paypal,bitcoin wallets etc etc!

Are you nuts ?!?

• biz commented  · 

Keep it as is, but let the user decide if he or she *needs* more than 3-months. Make it an option that can be enabled or disabled in Settings.

This is a fairly good solution that serves valid users and protonmail.

• JohnyD commented  · 

what if you are in a hospital/prison/etc. and you have paypal or other important stuff recovery email @protonmail? you need to recover the account but you don't have an email anymore = you are toast! Free or payed, 3months is bad, very bad.

• Anonymous commented  · 

yeah, that's too short. Maybe a year or two. Or perhaps add a feature to paid version so that paid account is never erased and free account after a year of not being used. Id prefer never, but I understand you are trying to save space.

• Eric Johnson commented  · 

I can easily imagine circumstances in which a user might not be able to access the account for months at a time.

One of my brothers didn't use his e-mail (on another service) for many months because he was in a coma and then in a nursing home for rehabilitation. It was some months after he got back home that he was able to return to using e-mail.

Another potential problem that could leave one unable to access e-mail for a while would be strokes or heart attacks.

• Freedom commented  · 

6 Months for Free users. Paid users never.

• noname commented  · 

i consider to add a "im away for this amount of time" section...

if its not selected , it will be deleted for security purposes after 3 Months...

• Anonymous commented  · 

Paid should *never* be deleted. Its why we pay. You can benefit from us not using your resources as much. WinWin

• iDanq commented  · 

Instead of three months, make it six months! 1 - 2 years is way to long.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base