How can we improve ProtonMail?

Dedicated gmail Import Tool / Feature (Without Using The Bridge)

Please provide a stand alone method to import all gmail message history, without the use of a bridge. So many of us would like to completely leave gmail behind, but cannot because we still rely on the message history in old gmail accounts.

I don't want to download the message history to a computer. I want to transfer all messages directly to folders in my active PM accounts, where I can access them at any time within my PM accounts. Thanks.

3,750 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    LUH3417 shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LUH3417 commented  · 

Of all the features to limit to paid users, WHY would you want to limit this one???

For most people, this will be a one time use, to move their message history, short or long, to their new account with Protonmail. In my case, once I move my history from away from gmail, I will never look back! Each person who does this is further cementing their relationship with Protonmail. And even those who are not yet paid users will be that much more likely to switch to a paid plan in the future.

You may be going overboard on this effort to push people into paid plans by limiting even the most basic features, and perhaps alienating some potential paying clients.

I happen to be a loyal client. But this is a foolish policy. (This will be a good topic to bring up with Andy during his chat on reddit)

• Mehra commented  · 

Is this now available for basic users?

• janek commented  · 

Hi.
        I'm fighting with bridge and Thunderbird. I need to put 5k old emails from local storage to PM via bridge and thunderbird. That takes veeeery long time, and it freezes.

I already know how to speed up the bridge and Thunderbird.
        The idea is to transfer emails to the INBOX folder. First of all you need to turn off sync of all folders (turn sync on inbox folder only). Go to subscribing manager in Thunderbird (press right mouse button on account and select subscribing manager).

Here you have examples how you can do that:
        https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-and-gmail

Then Thunderbird will work on one task only. If not it must sync all folders same time and it ends with errors, and just doesnt work.

• Arun Sathiya commented  · 

Wondering if it will be available to other paying users anytime soon.

• Jake commented  · 

Please can we have this already?! I spent 24 hours trying to migrate a few thousand sent items and it was so crappy I had to give up and try to undo the damage. Please give us a proper performant migration tool asap!

• PM108593 commented  · 

Been a couple of weeks. Is it available for all paid users now?

• PM15599 commented  · 

I used a linux tool called mbox to imap... but yeah, had to use the Bridge, and download all Gmail messages from Google Takeout.

It was buggy as hell. Takes forever, Protonmail bridge times out or fails often. And left tens of thousands of messages as "unread", with no way to mark them as read using the Bridge.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I would hope this to be optional only as I want nothing to do with my old hacked gmail and yahoo accounts and want them nowhere near my trusted protonmail

• Anonymous commented  · 

Where can i try the beta I am plus yearly?

• John commented  · 

Will this work at importing from icloud email?

• LUH3417 commented  · 

Please allow the import tool to work on all versions of windows, for those who plan to process the message history transfer using something other than a mobile device. Thanks.

Feedback and Knowledge Base