Proton VPN
535 results found
-
Extend NetShield content blocking options
I wish NetShield had more fine-tuned content blocking options beyond malware and ads/trackers. Mullvad can also block the following:
- Gambling
- Adult content
- Social mediaPlease add these options to NetShield so I don't have to trust a third party custom DNS (and risk being fingerprinted for it). Proton might treat this as low priority, but it's important to me. This and DAITA are some of Mullvad's distinctive features, so I'd appreciate if Proton had them too.
7 votes -
Feature request – Smarter Wi-Fi-based auto-connect rules on iOS
Hello Proton team,
First of all, thank you for Proton VPN and the whole Proton ecosystem. I’m a paying user and I really appreciate your focus on privacy and on open, well-documented security.
I’m writing to request a feature that I believe matches a very common and “natural” use case for VPNs on mobile phones, especially on iOS.
Current situation
On iOS, we can use auto-connect and some Shortcuts automations, but there is no simple way to express the following behaviour:
Automatically connect Proton VPN on any Wi-Fi network, except for a few trusted ones (for example my home Wi-Fi).
…
24 votes -
Split-Tunneling
Someone please explain why ProtonVPN cannot have the Kill-Switch and Split-Tunneling both activated at the same time. There are lots of times I have to disconnect ProtonVPN to access some Internet sites. Not having a Kill-Switch and disconnecting the VPN defeats the purpose of a VPN; a Kill-Switch is a must. Other VPN allow both the Kill-Switch and Split-Tunneling to be activated at the same time; why can't ProtonVPN do the same. Hopefully a Proton Team Member will explain.
9 votes -
Split tunneling, select which app connects through which country
It would be great if Proton VPN split tunneling worked so that I can select which app's traffic is routed through whic country. For example, I'd like to select that Youtube goes through Moldova, Firefox through Netherlands, banking app through Germany etc. This could maybe be built into profiles as well so I can quickly set up even different split tunneling scenarios.
32 votes -
Keep Windows 7 support, please don't force us onto Windows 10/11
Hi everyone,
I was shocked to see Proton VPN drop Windows 7 support yesterday, 07/07/2026. Please provide a legacy client or a 12-month transition period for Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit users.
Forcing upgrades to Windows 10/11 contradicts Proton’s privacy mission. Features like default 'typing personalisation' (keystroke monitoring) and Windows 11’s 'Recall' (automated screenshots) severely compromise privacy.
I use Windows 7 for technical autonomy. Switching to Linux isn't viable as I rely on expensive, proprietary engineering software.
We choose Proton to protect our data. Please don't force us into privacy-invasive OS environments. We need a working Windows 7 solution.
6 votes -
profile whitelist server
Profiles - Let me build a custom list of the servers I want OR allow multiple selection of servers in a profile. e.g. ALL servers that isn't smart route in this one country.
4 votes -
P2P
Please add torrenting support in the free plan. Thank you.
15 votes -
macOS: support "Access devices by name" (mDNS/Bonjour) for LAN connections, like Windows already has
The Windows app has "Access devices by name" (Settings → Connection → Advanced → Allow LAN connections), which resolves local hostnames via mDNS/Bonjour while connected. The macOS app has no equivalent - "Allow LAN connections" only permits unicast IP traffic to the same subnet, not multicast/mDNS, so hostname resolution to LAN devices fails while connected.
Workaround is using the device's IP address instead of its hostname, which works but is a real papercut for anyone routinely accessing local devices (NAS, RDP targets, printers) by name while on VPN.
Requesting macOS parity with the Windows "Access devices by name" feature. Confirmed…
3 votes -
More Tor servers
There are only a handful of Tor servers across all countries, and they're close to capacity most of the time. Meanwhile, there are other servers that hover around the low double digits. Any chance of shifting some of that capacity to Tor?
4 votes -
Proton VPN ZTNA, and Bandwidth sharing
I'd love a native Proton app/feature for outbound connections from my home router, with four independent options I can turn on or off separately:
Access my own network – securely reach my home devices (NAS, cameras, etc.) from anywhere, without opening any inbound ports on my router/firewall.
Share my bandwidth – let my home connection help Proton's network (extra exit capacity), fully opt-in.
Hairpin my mobile traffic through home – route my phone's traffic back through my home internet connection when I'm out, so it looks like I'm browsing from home.
VPN out specific LAN devices – pick one or…
5 votes -
Data Retention Policies For Proton Unlimited
I recently came across the ability for Proton business plans to have data retention policies in place. While I understand that this feature is primarily designed for businesses and organizations that need to manage data according to specific policies, I think it could also be extremely useful for individual users.
For example, many standard users have important emails that they need to retain for several years, such as banking and financial correspondence, tax-related emails, contracts, invoices, insurance documents, and other legal or administrative records. At the same time, users may also receive a large amount of less important email that…
3 votes -
Add rpm-ostree to extend support to Fedora-based immutable distributions
UBlueOS as well as the increasingly popular gaming-focused Bazzite flavor hereof are build around the concept of an immutable kernel. This means nothing can write to kernel-space, and even with superuser privileges, you cannot do this. Updates are done by retrieving full & tested images, you can always roll back to the previous image, and the system doesn't really complain if it runs out of storage. I believe that some of these features are in line with Protons mission for helping users achieve security and privacy. Achieving support for the immutable Fedora-based distributions would mean extending support for the rpm-ostree…
3 votes -
Always release a tarball for the most basic install (CLI/headless)
Releasing a basic tarball makes it much easier to incorporate ProtonVPN in distributions like NixOS and others.
I know that NixOS is not supported, but this could be released under a 'not-the-recommended-method' banner, and it would be hugely advantageous for people who are used to taking on the responsibility of integrating packages into a specific system setup.3 votes -
CLI should be standalone
CLI should be installable as a standalone feature with all features included.
Recently the installation instructions mashed the CLI and the GUI into one. This causes problems as the installation is now much more dependent on the choice of KDE, GNOME etc.
Really on linux, it makes the most sense to me, to build a solid CLI tool first, and then build a nice GUI for the functions that were allready build in the CLI tool. This also ensures that all of the users can apply their own scripts around the behavior of ProtonVPN, solving some of the feature-requests before…
3 votes -
Easier VPN settings for gaming and scripting workflows
I use Proton VPN while working with Roblox and Lua/Luau scripting, and I sometimes need to switch between gaming, scripting tools, and documentation during the same session.
It would be useful to have a simpler way to save different VPN preferences for specific workflows. For example, I often use Roblox scripting resources such as Fluxus Team https://officialfluxusteam.com/ alongside my other development and browsing tools.
A small profile system for things like gaming, development, and general browsing would make switching between these setups much easier without changing several settings each time.
Even a simple “Gaming” and “Development” profile with saved VPN…
3 votes -
Urgent need for Belgian server infrastructure
Subject: Feedback from a happy customer: Urgent need for Belgian server infrastructure
Dear Proton VPN Team,
As loyal and satisfied users of both Proton Pass and Proton VPN, we appreciate the exceptional speed, reliability, and security your services provide.
However, we face a major operational hurdle regarding server locations. We specifically require a Belgian server IP address to serve our customer base, which is primarily located in Belgium, alongside operations in the Netherlands and France. Because we require a single consistent IP setup, utilizing multiple servers across different countries is not a viable option.
We initially attempted a workaround by…
3 votes -
Prioritize physical servers instead of the virtual servers on countries with both
Right now, in Indonesia we have both physical servers and virtual servers. The thing is, when u click connect to Indonesia. It will randomly choose the virtual servers instead of the physical servers. In my opinion this is a flawed logic because not only do we have more added latency. There are also a few different sites that can tell that Proton's virtual IPs are not actually from Indonesia. Not only that, having ProtonVPN prioritize physical servers means that you will also most likely have a better speed and experience overall because we wont have to worry about the quality…
17 votes -
Smart routing
I'm perfectly comfortable using a premium VPN service, and in fact, I took advantage of a Black Friday promotion to purchase an annual plan. I have no issue with paying for a reliable, premium service as long as it provides the features and level of control I need.
My only request is to have the option to choose between connecting to a specific physical VPN location and bypassing the service's smart routing servers. These smart routing servers are essentially presented as virtual locations, but in practice, the actual servers or exit points may be physically located outside the country or…
3 votes -
On the browser extension make it so that you can do a VPN for only certain sites.
On the browser extension make it so that you can do a VPN for only certain sites. For example, I have a domain that is blocked by my ISP even though 1) I own it 2) It is safe (it is blocked because it is one of those free domains - .qzz.io) and I would like it so that whenever I go onto that domain then Proton VPN works on that domain only not all of my tabs since some domains need localisation (eg. my server that only works in the UK).
5 votes -
Allow User-Selectable Exit Nodes with Secure Core
When creating a VPN configuration file using Secure Core, I would like the option to choose a specific secondary (exit) location within the region I intend to use. Currently, all western U.S. Secure Core configurations default to Los Angeles, which limits flexibility.
Instead, I want the ability to select a specific state or city for the exit node, in addition to the Secure Core entry location. This would allow for more accurate geographic representation and better performance. Not all users are based in Los Angeles, and routing all traffic through that single location is both restrictive and inefficient.
This limitation…
7 votes
- Don't see your idea?