Set a default address/alias per contact.
How about we could set a default address/alias per contact if we have multiple addresses/aliases.
Isn't it great protonmail webapp could change sender address according to receiver automatically so friends could get mails from a personal address/alias and business partners could get mails from a business address/alias always?
-
RDP
commented
I use alias as a means of sorting emails (according to my various responsibilities). When I forget to change the "From" line alias in a msg, it results in miss-sorted replies and new emails from that contact. Kind of lame to have to send them an email asking them to use the "correct" email alias because I boneheaded forgot to send them my email from the correct one. HIGHLY CRITICAL need for me. Thx.
-
User R
commented
It seemed like a good idea at the beginning when I first signed up with proton Mail. But I have just about given up on Proton Aliases.
One cannot keep track of which alias you have used for when recipient, so what is the point of having so many aliases at all? It just causes confusion all round.
These ideas would help, but I think the concept of lots of aliases is not viable.
On the other hand short term, one-off, addresses, that expire after a certain time are useful. -
Sir Henry
commented
Essential feature. You should be able to set a sender address for a recipient in contacts or at least Proton Mail should remember which address I used to contact a recipient
-
vj
commented
Similar:
"Send email to alias from any address of a user without whitelisting or improve whitelisting process "
https://protonmail.uservoice.com/forums/284483-proton-mail-calendar/suggestions/51539450-send-email-to-alias-from-any-address-of-a-user-wit -
MiW
commented
This is absolutely necessary to protect users from leaking their "real" address!
Not sure why we can choose Email-Format and PGP settings but not the from address... -
Jack Mitchell
commented
Would also be nice if this could be set per label as well....
-
Anonymous
commented
Yes! I cannot tell you how many times I've drafted an email to someone, only to find I've leaked my default email to them because I forgot to choose my outgoing email address.
-
jan
commented
Or a simple warning "You normally communicate with this person from XX" would also greatly help keeping good OPSEC
-
DV
commented
makes sense
-
abc commented
I want to avoid sharing my Proton Mail ID when replying to forwarded emails or when sending emails
Similar idea was there in 2020: https://protonmail.uservoice.com/forums/284483-proton-mail-calendar/suggestions/42192775-set-a-default-address-alias-per-contact
-
Mario Laußmann commented
YES !!! I need these, too !!
-
Stanislav
commented
It is currently possible to send a email from alias: you need to create a contact in alias (in Proton Pass), and then send the email to the contact.
However, it is very unconvenient.So it would be great if I can choose an alias in "from" field (even though it is not a normal email address), and when I send the mail, it is automatically send through SimpleLogin
-
Ken
commented
I'd like to be able to set a default email address other than my default Proton email address, so that when I send an email to someone and they want to reply to me, their reply is sent to a different email address than my default Proton Mail address.
-
Ken
commented
I'd like to be able to set a default email address other than my default Proton email address, so that when I send an email to someone and they want to reply to me, their reply is sent to a different email address than my default Proton Mail address.
-
Pingüino Dragón commented
If you use an alias to register on a specific website, but the suport mechanism for that website is through emails, you could hit a wall since many services only accept your inputs from the email address you have registered on their databases, limiting inf fact the actual usability of email aliases.
This proposal solves this problem by letting you send an email using an alias created with proton pass. -
Leccho
commented
I'm using Proton Pass and utilizing aliases. However, I've encountered an issue when I need to email a company. I can't use the aliases and must provide a real email address, which defeats the purpose of using aliases in the first place.
-
Ervel
commented
Using Proton alias emails as a mail sender can improve privacy. When using a primary email address, it often includes your name and surname, which decreases your privacy.
-
Ruud
commented
As an addition to that; it would be even more awesome if the app would detect the mail address you normally use for interacting with the address you're sending to.
(Apple Mail on MacOS does, for example)