How can we improve ProtonMail?

I would like to see cheaper premium plans for basic users

I would like to support Protonmail development with premium subscription. Current plans are however too expensive for basic users.
I would only need basic functionality, with possibility to create email aliases.

Or the other way around, give users possibility to opt out some current features from premium subscription with lesser money.

814 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnttiAntti shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • UserUser commented  · 

Exactly, I think for many users there should be a cheaper option. For me the main thing it to be able to use it long-term. Which means more storage or (cheaper for developers) the ability to download and then delete the e-mails. Or forcing all users to pay, let's say 1 euro per moth (at least for students)

• LUH3417LUH3417 commented  · 

Buffet style seems practical for those on limited budgets but still want to protect their privacy. Rather than the jump to a full package of paid features, there could be a basic minimum paid package with all the other features or increasing them as optional additional costs. Those who want everything will still keep the option to pay for everything. Those who cant afford it, can pay for less features, while still helping to contribute to the cause of privacy for everyone.

• LowellLowell commented  · 

$4/month is cheap. I have one I pay $9/month for because I think my ability to communicate privately is that important. If you're doing a lot of emailing, one would think it was a cheap price for your insurance of safety. If not, then you only need the Basic (free) account. The latter account makes it possible for you to do quite a lot if you're not that active. Sorry, this just sounds like an attempt to something for nothing. I'm willing to pay these guys for the insurance of privacy from nosey governments and their agencies.

• BashoBasho commented  · 

You can always make a separate contribution regardless of account level.
        That is what I did.

• AnaAna commented  · 

Totally ageed, especially regarding to opt out features we aren't interested in.

• Anonymous commented  · 

As a low volume user, the free service is perfect for me but I would like to have a couple of features, particularly a couple more aliases that can be changed anytime, without limit. BUT the jump to $50 to get more aliases (that apparently aren't disposable) is too large. There should be a payment option for a token amount, $10 or $12 per yr, for those who want to contribute to the developers but want a slight enhancement of the free version.

• Paul SwansonPaul Swanson commented  · 

I disagree with this. Email is too important for your security and privacy online not to pay for. For anyone in a developed country current pricing is very reasonable, in relation anything else you're already paying for, such as Internet access and a computer. There's always the free service for those testing the service or financially constrained.

Feedback and Knowledge Base