How can we improve ProtonMail?

Protonmail App for Android is Very Slow

Hello Protons,

I use Proton mail as my central and master repository for all email correspondence (paid-up). However I'm finding its slow performance in android is really killing my productivity and my frustration is at breaking point; now looking to find alternatives.

I understand that a full encrypted service such as protonmail may never achieve the same level of responsiveness as other apps like Gmail, however there is a limit at which no longer becomes usable.

I find the app to be excessively laggy, I wait for actions to respond, by which time I've moved on elsewhere in the app (and thus causing more grief), or moved on (closed app), or the app is so slow to respond that it takes my action as meant for some other action. Argh!

I don't have these issues on desktop browsers.

I'm running a Nexus 6p with lots of free internal memory.

It's slow whether it's wifi or 4G (high speed cellular).

Granted, I use lots of tags, but nowhere have I read that this should be limited for improved performance reasons.

NB. This performance issue is not just related to search functionality; it's the entire app navigation as well as the delayed notifications.

I therefore conclude it is the app itself.

I post this "idea" to understand to what extent other users are also impacted.

564 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Ines shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Admin,

Yes. And I have since reverted to using the webapp instead which is perhaps even worse that the Android app. Why would I persist with the webapp over the Android app given this performance usability pain (and it's a real time killer). Because the ALIAS functionality at least partly works in the webapp, whereas in the Android app it's not at all.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not see a response from Proton, so let me try to help.

I agree the app is slow, but with that being said check in your settings to see of you are using 2048 or 4096 encryption. Proton specifically states that running 4096 does not work well with mobile platforms do to the lack of processing power.

Possibly one could attempt to revert back to 2048 in order to have better functionality.

Proton, please do make this a priority. For the fanboys like me we don't mind the wait, but for those unaware of what Proton stands for this could be a serious deal breaker- because waiting a minute between emails sucks and the webmail does not do this. The web mail is also not as folder friendly as the app.

So many have already joined due to Yahoo being controlled by Verizon/Oath, the day Oath decides to charge or suspend accounts that have not acknowledged the new terms many people will be looking into Proton. Especially with guys like me explaining "why Proton" to everyone and their brother...

• SkidX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Jorge,

Don't use it (the Android app) it's rubbish. The webapp is superior experience.

SkidX

• Jorge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm in the process of moving all my mails to prortonmail with the bridge connection for outlook.
    Now my android client has become unusable, not responding ...
    Any comment about this?

• SkidX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have found using the webapp version on Android to be a far more pleasant and usefull experience. it is more responsive that the playStore app and less buggy.

• Artem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is noticeably sluggish on swipe gestures. That makes me really frustrated when I need to perform a few swipes in a row.

OnePlus 3T

• Casper Jonquil Mad as Hell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@noname

I call B.S.

I have the same problem as Ines and know of other users who find it too slow to be usable.

In my case with Netguard running to prevent any app other than a selected few from ever accessing the internet (your firewall argument). NB. Protonmail has full access and anyways, with Netguard on or off it's slow either way.

• noname commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the protonmail app itself runs very fast , without lags and performance improvements...

i recommend those who have problems , to analyze the performance from your anndroid system...

how many apps are accessing your internet connections ?

how many app-rights are corresponding with your protonmail app rights ?

download a good nonroot firewall for android and a logfile and sysfile viewer for future analyze purposes to see what exactly let the protonmail app run slow....

wish you all a nice 2018 !

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only issue I have is in the folders. Whether it be spam or a custom folder I created, making any change to one or multiple emails has a good 5-10 second delay. Although, if I make any changes within the Inbox section, it's instant. I'm using a OnePlus 5.

• Des commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's on Nexus too using Android 8+. So not like it's an old or out of date device

Feedback and Knowledge Base