How can we improve ProtonMail?

Just focus on your core values and avoid feature creep

Please focus on security, transparency and sustainability and avoid everything not necessary for email.

1,828 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Ok sure bud but FIDO u2f definitely falls under the category of security; a few features creeping in wouldn't hurt.

• Anonymous commented  · 

pooponmail needs to stop crapping on their existing customers

• andyzz commented  · 

+1

Things don't work that should be fixed before adding further bloat.

• Anonymous commented  · 

If people want features they can use Gmail and every other email service provider (they are all the same, using useless apps that is nothing but bloatware). ProtonMail needs to stay differentiated by not incorporating the mainstream bloatware: thus becoming a follower. Once a business starts down the path of spreading their focus (multiple lines), they risk losing focus of core needs. Precious resources are spread over multiple lines that are not important to the core focus. I am a marketing major, all my formal education is in business, but I won't use crap bloatware apps. I am very computer savvy and very organized, and I use a few core programs for ALL my organizational needs. Don't be a follower: stay specialized. Focus on just emails and "necessary" email related functions. But don't force the changes on anyone, don't shove it in their face, and don't assume we all want it. I want a pure, unviolated email service provider.

• Mad As commented  · 

Especially frustrating when I read about the development of new functionality when core email functionality is broken eg: ALIAS.

You'd think out of respect for those that have paid for the service to at least not half bake functionality and then walk away from it. Eg A L I A S

Ask for your $ back.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I agree.

For a mail provider - that state out he wants to be a real privacy and security focused company - here are things going wrong so far.

Example 1: mails to non Protonmail users get stored unencrypted (and not end-2-end-encrypted) within the "sent" folder; ALL unencrypted outgoing mails should be e2ee with our public key...

Example 2: no pgp support; 99% of users you communicate with are non Protonmail Users...

• SC commented  · 

I would like to add, I too support keeping email as the primary method of communication. There are already multiple apps that dominate chat (telegram, signal). There is also a lot of examples of failures of companies straying from their core business (GE Capital, Trump Steaks, Trump University, Trump Taj Mahal, Theranos, Google+, Windows Phone, etc.)

• SC commented  · 

I think people see the potential for Protonmail to replace all their web communications. That way, they can avoid the risk of their personal information being "monetized" completely.

They're not asking for Protonmail to become a video distribution service (whose data collection is much more innocuous, unless you have extremely unorthodox viewing habits). They want to use Protonmail to replace social media, which is an extremely compelling thing if you are paying attention to what's happening with Facebook.

Protonmail should allow you to bypass all anxiety-provoking web institutions (info collection monopolies with shoddy practices like Facebook), or for some people, national security agencies.

Although there is the argument that email should be the only thing you use on the internet where you betray personal information. Anything else is simply overuse/abuse, and you should go outside.

It really comes down to what one's philosophy is on how the internet should be used. For me, the value of Protonmail is that it truly makes me skeptical of internet giants. I'm not sure what all their market value represents, or if it's elaborate "techno-fraud". I'm personal friends with some people who know those who run Protonmail so there's another level of confidence for me. I don't know anyone who knows Zuckerberg and I don't trust him at all.

• Are Lomsdalen commented  · 

I agree, to a certain extent, but I think that in order to get more users, new features might be what will entice them to come here. But at the same time I agree with you :-) And I believe the new features will attract more users, and that will pay for the investments ProtonMail made to create the new features. (but I have _no_ idea about their finances :-) )

• James commented  · 

As a subscriber, I couldn't agree with this more.

Not paying to hedge experimental stuff while ProtonMail itself is still not a complete product.

• Jim commented  · 

This is a great post and I fully agree. A secure, private, open and reliable email service is what people are crying out for. It's the only reason I created an account.

As one example of what's needed, plain text support is still lacking. It took years to become able to force plain text when composing a message, but there's still no facility to display all received mails in plain text (even if they were originally sent in html). html is a security risk and I'm extremely surprised that full plain text support wasn't implemented from the very beginning.

As another example, PGP mails currently cause significant usability issues:

https://protonmail.uservoice.com/forums/284483-feedback/suggestions/18155353-bug-report-cannot-reply-to-pgp-encrypted-incoming

To summarize, please address such fundamental privacy/security issues first, then add the "bells and whistles" (as another poster commented) later if really needed.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Realize & acknowledge that ProtonMail's web product is a temporary, stopgap measure and the ultimate goal is to create a modern mail transfer protocol which encrypts all metadata. Definition of "core values" should include promoting interoperability ; developing & implementing open standards for decentralized or distributed email which support Forward Secrecy.

Some ideas & starting points for further research & study

http://secushare.org/comparison
        http://flowingmail.com/
        https://thetinhat.com/tutorials/messaging/i2pbote.html

https://p2pfoundation.net/

DISTRIBUTED FILE SYSTEMS

https://matrix.org/
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZeroNet
        https://thetinhat.com/tutorials/darknets/zeronet.html
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InterPlanetary_File_System

• Anonymous commented  · 

Very, very true! Only E-mail, contacts and calendar please.

• Matthew commented  · 

The signs of increases in lost basic capabilities and decreases in ProtonMail's support capacity are already upon users. ProtonMail's collective mentality of reaching for every bell & whistle, and consequent problems which arise with such lacking focus, across multiple OSs, is turning the new company into a typical, indifferent, ineffectual corporation. While ProtonMail is only at the start, regrettably they are firmly putting themselves on this path. (By the way, please do not expect me to donate to such a cause.)

• Anonymous commented  · 

Absolutely agree with the above.
        Just make the existing features rock solid.
        Everyone out there has a lot of features nowadays, but no one has rock solid security and privacy.
        Stick to your principles and finish what you started. And open source everything for the community. That's the only way for people to trust you.

By the way, using uservoice.com in order to "communicate" with the community, is not very flattering ( ! ) . I have just read the "terms of service" and they are NOT what Protonmail should offer.

Get together, point your human resources to security and privacy and you'll reach the top.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Voted. Pouring more features into the service just to get more subscribers who most of the time don't give a @#!$% about security is bad. Same happens to a lot of security oriented messengers (Signal added GIF search ffs :D).

• Dan commented  · 

I like the idea of ProtonBrowser, but even so, avoiding feature creep is good advice. Protonmail's UI (I use it via webbrowser) is the best I've seen.

As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

• Anonymous commented  · 

Agreed, I'm suprised features like "ProtonChat", "ProtonDrive", "ProtonBrowser" (wut?) get so many votes. Please focus on secure and private e-mail. Finish what you started and adhere to the UNIX principle: "Do one thing, and do it well."

Feedback and Knowledge Base