How can we improve ProtonMail?

Just focus on your core values and avoid feature creep

Please focus on security, transparency and sustainability and avoid everything not necessary for email.

2,232 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Protonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wholeheartedly support this!

NO “browser”, NO “password keeper”, NO WHINING!

ProtonMail are our Freedom Fighters, not out freakin Comfort Cloud!

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this, 3 votes from a paying Proton user, only to the extent that “feature creep” doesn’t apply to actual, needed/required features to maintain the security & usability of the current services (Mail + VPN). The services will need to evolve, of course. The statement is painting with a very broad brush. In my opinion, focusing on the current services offered or already in the pipeline is much better than trying to create a browser, password manager, etc. where a plethora of good, secure options already exist. No one knows how best to utilize your resources than you. I believe the fundamental request here is that you don’t venture off on too many tangents from your core services and services which may enhance them (again, where an appropriate alternative is not available).

• 1010 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This depends on what you mean by 'feature creep'. I consider calendaring, tasks and contacts essential. This is because, by design, e-mail is a collaborative service. Therefore, sharing events, tasks etc, are essential to making that process seamless. These features should be easier to handle than email itself. However, if we consider something like notes, cloud, password managers etc, the focus moves away from the original goal (feature creep). However, PM could certainly work with other open source projects to create simple integrations, e.g. a sync service for keepass. This way, the open source community can build as a unit. Right now, the limited efforts are being fragmented between multiple projects that often create redundant features.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To start we are one of the many that are paying to use Protonmail. It would have been nice to be able to see what ProtonMail features are before we paid the money. The" Avoid everything not necessary for email" is too broad of a statement. There are many of us who find some important features not in Proton. For example I went to import 2,600 email contacts and your system froze up and now I am having to do a a lot of manual work just to get all the contacts in. There are some other features I am going to see if they are available but I just have not found them in your system.

• Noah80 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently I can't justify paying for Plus or other plans without better email functionality. I can't fully move over to free, Plus or the highest plan. It's just too basic right now.

I rely heavily on Gmail features such as folders/labels, nesting folders/labels, filters, auto-filter new emails, forwarding, conditional filters and forwarding, display density and too many more to list.

I have a job but I also freelance, there are invoices, bills etc. I also have investments, each with their own statements. Not to mention personal emails. I need a mail service that can handle vast sorting, labels/folders, filters, aliases. Currently only Gmail can handle this with ease.

If these core email features are planned to be added then I can donate or get Plus knowing that I will be able to move everything over to Proton.

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate
  • JC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I'm in favor of seeing PM double-down on fixing/improving the core product I'm not sure I'd vote for this ... Yes, we do need focus on the core but also adding things like Calendaring are an absolute requirement for me to fully switch. I like the fact that VPN is treated as a seperate entity, and maybe that's the path they should be taking for other off-shoots (don't re-allocated Mail resources, expand the team)

• ijduncan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot roll Proton services out within my company unless it features shared calendar. I think the email, contact and calendar is key. Otherwise I have to pay for two separate services instead of one. And per user so its a significant cost to think about.

Ok sure bud but FIDO u2f definitely falls under the category of security; a few features creeping in wouldn't hurt.

• andyzz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1

Things don't work that should be fixed before adding further bloat.

If people want features they can use Gmail and every other email service provider (they are all the same, using useless apps that is nothing but bloatware). ProtonMail needs to stay differentiated by not incorporating the mainstream bloatware: thus becoming a follower. Once a business starts down the path of spreading their focus (multiple lines), they risk losing focus of core needs. Precious resources are spread over multiple lines that are not important to the core focus. I am a marketing major, all my formal education is in business, but I won't use crap bloatware apps. I am very computer savvy and very organized, and I use a few core programs for ALL my organizational needs. Don't be a follower: stay specialized. Focus on just emails and "necessary" email related functions. But don't force the changes on anyone, don't shove it in their face, and don't assume we all want it. I want a pure, unviolated email service provider.

• Mad As commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Especially frustrating when I read about the development of new functionality when core email functionality is broken eg: ALIAS.

You'd think out of respect for those that have paid for the service to at least not half bake functionality and then walk away from it. Eg A L I A S

Ask for your $ back.

I agree.

For a mail provider - that state out he wants to be a real privacy and security focused company - here are things going wrong so far.

Example 1: mails to non Protonmail users get stored unencrypted (and not end-2-end-encrypted) within the "sent" folder; ALL unencrypted outgoing mails should be e2ee with our public key...

Example 2: no pgp support; 99% of users you communicate with are non Protonmail Users...

• SC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to add, I too support keeping email as the primary method of communication. There are already multiple apps that dominate chat (telegram, signal). There is also a lot of examples of failures of companies straying from their core business (GE Capital, Trump Steaks, Trump University, Trump Taj Mahal, Theranos, Google+, Windows Phone, etc.)

• SC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think people see the potential for Protonmail to replace all their web communications. That way, they can avoid the risk of their personal information being "monetized" completely.

They're not asking for Protonmail to become a video distribution service (whose data collection is much more innocuous, unless you have extremely unorthodox viewing habits). They want to use Protonmail to replace social media, which is an extremely compelling thing if you are paying attention to what's happening with Facebook.

Protonmail should allow you to bypass all anxiety-provoking web institutions (info collection monopolies with shoddy practices like Facebook), or for some people, national security agencies.

Although there is the argument that email should be the only thing you use on the internet where you betray personal information. Anything else is simply overuse/abuse, and you should go outside.

It really comes down to what one's philosophy is on how the internet should be used. For me, the value of Protonmail is that it truly makes me skeptical of internet giants. I'm not sure what all their market value represents, or if it's elaborate "techno-fraud". I'm personal friends with some people who know those who run Protonmail so there's another level of confidence for me. I don't know anyone who knows Zuckerberg and I don't trust him at all.

• Are Lomsdalen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, to a certain extent, but I think that in order to get more users, new features might be what will entice them to come here. But at the same time I agree with you :-) And I believe the new features will attract more users, and that will pay for the investments ProtonMail made to create the new features. (but I have _no_ idea about their finances :-) )

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a subscriber, I couldn't agree with this more.

Not paying to hedge experimental stuff while ProtonMail itself is still not a complete product.

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great post and I fully agree. A secure, private, open and reliable email service is what people are crying out for. It's the only reason I created an account.

As one example of what's needed, plain text support is still lacking. It took years to become able to force plain text when composing a message, but there's still no facility to display all received mails in plain text (even if they were originally sent in html). html is a security risk and I'm extremely surprised that full plain text support wasn't implemented from the very beginning.

As another example, PGP mails currently cause significant usability issues:

https://protonmail.uservoice.com/forums/284483-feedback/suggestions/18155353-bug-report-cannot-reply-to-pgp-encrypted-incoming

To summarize, please address such fundamental privacy/security issues first, then add the "bells and whistles" (as another poster commented) later if really needed.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base