Feedback

How can we improve ProtonMail?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. one-time password for encrypted messages to non-protonmail users

My healthcare provider sent me a mail informing that I had to retrieve a private message from their secured servers. Clicking the link in my mail kicked of a 2nd mail containing an expiring OTP. Only after entering the OTP I was able to retrieve the message. I've seen this approach used by other services as well, the advantage being that you don't have to negotiate a password beforehand. It can be a nice improvement to the current implementation of sending encrypted messages to non-protonmail users.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Features seen on other services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Plus Account with EDU Email

-> Free plus account for uni/post-secondary students

- Can be featured in github's student pack (https://education.github.com/pack)
    - Account upgrade could simply expire at the end of educational term
    - Custom domain options allow students to use their EDU domain email with proton mail's superior service
    - Allows students to organize busy mail traffic without folder limitations
    - Increase storage capacity allows for multiple word documents and Comp. Sci projects

486 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    25 comments  ·  Features seen on other services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. SpamAssassin: set required level for each user separately

It would be great if each user could modify the default level required in SpamAssassin (4) to another value (e.g. 5 if too many legitimate mails land in the spam folder).

182 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Existing features (improved)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Email font preference setting

Ability to set font to size style and color one time without having to reset it with every email. Standard setting is way too small

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Dark theme for App

Would love a dark theme for the Android app

11,756 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    41 comments  ·  Features seen on other services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. SpamAssassin: default required value for all users

As long as my other idea (https://protonmail.uservoice.com/forums/284483-feedback/suggestions/34132327-spamassassin-set-required-level-for-each-user-sep) is not yet implemented:
    Set required level in SpamAssassin more conservatively as suggested by SpamAssassin:
    https://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.1.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html#user_preferences
    Default (for single-user setup) is 5 - for ISPs they suggest that "you should probably set the default to be more conservative, like 8.0 or 10.0". ProtonMail sets the value to 4 for all users! That is too low!

147 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Existing features (improved)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Text size and font

The service is missing a choice for text size and font that can be chosen as a set up feature. Currently you can do it in each message, but (a) the size is too small, (b) the font choice reverts back to default, and (c) visibility is horrendous. Keep in mind that not all subscribers have the same level of visual acuity. Therefore the idea is that one can choose his own default setting and not be bothered by almost unreadable characters.

160 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    35 comments  ·  Features seen on other services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Grouping email addresses

I need a way to group email addresses so I do not have to remember them individually. It would be great to have this feature. Thanks!

328 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Features seen on other services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Put protonmail app in f-droid repository

I use replicant operating system and not android, for evident ethical and security reasons.
    I don't want to use google play, because I'm against google and don't trust them.

It will be very nice to put protonmail app in f-droid repository!

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Dreams  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Grouping messages in Android mobile app

It would be great to copy messages grouping from web version to mobile app (Android). Without this feature it's really hard to use Protonmail on mobile.
    Thank you!

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Existing features (improved)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Is there a way to change the time of received emails to my local timezone?

Is there a way to change the time of received emails to my local timezone?

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Security new feature: RFC 8461 - SMTP MTA Strict Transport Security (MTA-STS)

RFC 8461 - SMTP MTA Strict Transport Security (MTA-STS) is a mechanism enabling mail service providers (SPs) to declare their ability to receive Transport Layer Security (TLS) secure SMTP connections and to specify whether sending SMTP servers should refuse to deliver to MX hosts that do not offer TLS with a trusted server certificate.

This is obviously to secure messages between mail providers, so users benefit from the additional security on transit. This is backed by: Google, Oath ("yahoo"), Comcast, Microsoft... the big company's in the area... so it should be adopted by them.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Encryption tools like Facebook PGP

The notification email from the service contains a lot of personal information.
    For example, when I shop on Amazon, my mailbox will be sent a lot of personal information, such as my real name, my address, and the things I bought. In spite of this, the notification email has not been encrypted.
    I think this is a big problem.
    Therefore, we believe that by providing the public key to the service, such as Facebook PGP, we need a mechanism to encrypt the notification email from the service via PGP. So, I want you to develop software that summarizes that functionality…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Features seen on other services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. calendar

basic calendar. This is a business email address. we need calendars.

96 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Enhanced Folder Functionality

Every other major (and many minor) email clients have hierarchical folders - organizing emails is not a discretionary function. Proton Mail should have:

1. Nested folders (critical)

2. Unlimited nesting (important) - a reasonable compromise would be 2 or 3 levels of nesting.

3. Drag n Drop sorting (critical)

4. Search options that reflect hierarchies (all folders / sub folders / this folder) (important)

5. Color inheritance (from the top-most folder in a group (not important)

I can't fully migrate off my other emails until this basic functionality is supported.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Existing features (improved)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Privacy Phone Cases

Proton stands for privacy. Why not a phone case with a camera coverslider on the back? So you slide the cover from the camera to take a picture, but you cover your camrea when you are not using it. So no one is wathcing you from your own camera.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Auto-Archive Email

Outlook provides the ability to set rules for automatically archiving email based on age and folder/label. Rules like this allow a user to keep their mailbox clean and reduce storage utilization.

It would be fantastic if we could set the following:

1. A default auto-archive age for all mail.
    2. Set custom auto-archive ages for a certain folder or label that overrides the default.

Even if the default is set to "Off" for everyone, I'd love this ability.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Features seen on other services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Attachment downloads

I would like the ability to preview an attachment paper or image before downloading it to my PC. It be possible for the email to act as the download space prior to moving it to a PC. This way, we can see what people are sending us before we actually download it.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. how about an automatic spell and grammar check when sending e-mails

how about an automatic spell and grammar check when sending e-mails

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. FIFO2 U2F Security Key Support for MFA

With the latest FIDO2 updates and all of the major web browsers supporting this (including Windows now for login!) will you be adding support for security keys like the Yubikey? This is a feature that I would REALLY like to utilize for MFA.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base