How can we improve ProtonMail?

Dark Mail Alliance Collaboration

PGP (which I refer to as Email 2.0), is great for sending encrypted messages. One of the popular requests here on Uservoice is for metadata to be encrypted in transit as well. The problem with the PGP protocol though, is that it can't encrypt the subject header, to/from/cc/bcc fields, or other metadata. PGP also can't do forward-secrecy, and if the one of the users private key is compromised, an eavesdropper can read all previous and future correspondence, instead of just future correspondence.

Enter the Dark Mail Alliance, a group of representatives from email & privacy companies working on creating new, open-source protocols for "Email 3.0", with things like forward secrecy, and where metadata can also be encrypted and kept private from any prying eyes.

The team currently consists of Ladar Levison, founder of Lavabit, Phil Zimmermann, inventor of PGP, current Chief Scientist of Silent Circle, Jon Callas, former Chief Scientist at PGP Inc, current CTO of Silent circle, Mike Janke, former Navy SEAL Commander, current Chairman & co-founder of Silent Circle, but is looking to expand.

Being based off of the idea of Lavabit, and having Silent Circle also based out of Switzerland, I think it would be a great idea for Protonmail to join this alliance in creating and implementing this better email protocol as it continues to improve it's service.

122 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Matthew WolffsohnMatthew Wolffsohn commented  · 

If Protonmail could give support to the DIME standard that would be amazing!

• buggybuggy commented  · 

DIME looks promising, especially with those involved.

Feedback and Knowledge Base