ProtonMail

1. *Unlimited* Disposable Email Aliases

Startmail explains it perfectly. They offer unlimited disposable aliases, which expire within a given amount of time. They also offer custom aliases which can be saved and used indefinitely.

It is the disposable alias which will help protect privacy, when submiting an email to an untrusted recipient. After all, how much privacy do we have if our fixed emails become the foundation for building and selling our marketing profiles, just as is done by gmail. We limit personal activity virtual trails by disposing of aliases for casual uses. But, unlike custom aliases, which build on our identifiable original email address,…

13,979 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Under review  ·  96 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Chrome / Firefox add-on

Even the mailbox encrypted, it is possible to subvert the code in your servers - or force ProtonMail to subvert it by court order - to capture users mailbox password and therefore gain access to emails. This is exactly how the HushMail got "busted" some time ago, feeding a specified user a subverted code, that captured the users password to them!

Systems like BlockChain Wallet use browser add-ons to prevent this from happening. Ever. Since the add-on is used to handle ALL communications from and to the servers, and it decrypts the content from the servers, it does not matter…

4,907 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Planned  ·  22 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Increase storage

Increase storage or create a an email downloading vault to store old emails and free space in the account!

4,202 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    111 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. YubiKey? Ever? No? Hello?

The dedicated Protonmail community deserves a real response from the crack team of Protonmail scientists and engineers. When are you implementing Yubikey or are is your tag line just bs?

"We are scientists, engineers, and developers drawn together by a shared vision of protecting civil liberties online. This is why we created ProtonMail, an easy to use secure email service with built-in end-to-end encryption and state of the art security features. Our goal is to build an internet that respects privacy and is secure against cyberattacks.

We are committed to developing and widely distributing the tools necessary to protect your…

4,189 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    206 comments  ·  Changes to existing features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Sync contacts with phone address book

Sync the Protonmail contacts with the phone address book (contacts app) and vice versa.

3,685 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Planned  ·  92 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Encryption of all metadata

If Protonmail is to be serious about privacy, I don't understand why all metadata isn't kept solely in encrypted form. I just signed up for Scryptmail and any data is kept in encrypted form, unreadable for any third party.

I don't see why it would be necessary to keep for instance the senders or subject titles in encrypted form when Protonmail doesn't support POP3 or IMAP.

The problem is that otherwise e-mail is inherently insecure, because if for instance a governmental entity wants to see your account, while they won't have access to the content of your e-mails, they can…

3,437 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    30 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have given this quite a bit of thought, but at the present moment, it is not clear the advantages would outweigh the disadvantages.

The biggest problem is search. Encrypting all metadata would break metadata search entirely on the web client as there is still no efficient way to handle search of encrypted data within a browser.

Secondly, metadata encryption’s value from a privacy standpoint is also somewhat dubious. Because we ultimately must deliver the message to the recipient, we must know who the recipient is. At the current time, there still isn’t any proven and viable way to work around this.

Metadata encryption is an area of continued research for us, and when the opportunity arises and the technology for doing this matures, we will definitely implement it in ProtonMail.

7. Schedule Send Date/Time for Draft Emails Automatically Sent at a Future Time

I have another email service that allows users to schedule draft emails to be sent at a specified date/time in the future. Once the draft is complete, the email is automatically sent at the future specified date/time, unless that draft email is deleted/replaced prior to the send date/time. The draft email can either reside in an existing "draft" folder or a separate "outbox" folder (as distinguished from "draft" that does not have a scheduled send date/time).

Different Emphasis from Similar Postings:
    I noticed a number of other similar postings, however, I wanted to provide this new posting to possibly emphasize…

2,851 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under review  ·  111 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Just focus on your core values and avoid feature creep

Please focus on security, transparency and sustainability and avoid everything not necessary for email.

2,546 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    36 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Remove dependance on google play services

Protonmail android app is dependent on google play services and that is obviously against privacy and security.
    Users who removed/disable google play services or used vanilla "lineageos" without gapps cannot get the mail client work properly.
    Google play services collect every possible piece of info about the user; location, body sensors, application usage, and every other possible thing. So telling the use to enable/install google services you compromise his privacy and security by 3rd party app which is clearly against the idea if Protomail.

I hope you can correct this and have no dependence on google at all.

2,063 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    136 comments  ·  Changes to existing features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. When sending/reading an email show if the email was sent/received securely

Gmail has this feature where we can see if it's secure or not.

1,723 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. X-notifier Script for ProtonMail for Firefox?

X-notifier is a Firefox plugin that alerts you to new email arrivals in multiple webmail accounts. The plugin already works with many popular webmail services. For new email services, an additional script must be made.

This is the X-notifier Firefox plugin page: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/xnotifier/

This is the current list of addon scripts: http://xnotifier.tobwithu.com/scripts.php

This is the request page for a ProtonMail script to be added to X-notifier: http://xnotifier.tobwithu.com/dp/node/3407

Could ProtonMail staff collaborate on creating a script?

Or could someone reading this with the ability to create scripts help make one to add functionality for ProtonMail?

This would also help those interested…

1,666 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Too have an option to block email addresses from being able to send you mail

It would be great to be able to block certain email addresses from being able to send you emails. Not just a filter to go to “spam” but being able to actually block the sender totally

1,445 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    59 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. A Real Proton mail client

A proton mail client protonmail that combine all the features and design from the proton web UI and allows the user to synchronise other mailboxes.

1,255 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    23 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Improve addressing with extension character; allow hyphen (-); use correct sender address.

1. Add the use of a hyphen (-) as the extension character, in addition to plus (+). Reasoning is below.

2. When a message arrives for example-bob@protonmail.com, replies sent by the recipient should automatically show example-bob@protonmail.com as both the header sender and the envelope sender. The reason should be obvious.

Why hyphen (-) in addition to plus (+). The use of plus (+) tells people that you are using an extension, while the use of hyphen (-) makes the address look like an ordinary address.

Many buggy websites reject email addresses that contain a plus.

For additional reasoning see the original…

1,182 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. "Accounts that are inactive for over 3 months may be automatically deleted." Please consider altering that policy.

"Accounts that are inactive for over 3 months may be automatically deleted."
    Please consider altering that policy. Three months is way too short a time!

Why not 1-2 or more years instead of 3 months?

1,161 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    47 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. allow us to have whatever spec compliant local-part for custom domain email addresses

when trying to set the local-part for my custom domain email address to "~"
    I get this error message:

"Only alphanumerics, periods, hyphens, and underscores are allowed in the local part of the email address, and it must begin and end with alphanumerics." all I can say is why?

"it must begin and end with alphanumerics."
    this is so arbitrary! it's an email address' local-part not a username..

for many years, I have always used ~@myna.me as my email address, before and after I self-hosted my email, I use it for all of my online accounts and and all of…

1,141 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Changes to existing features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Implement Hydro 2FA

I'd like to recommend integrating Hydro Raindrop, a blockchain based 2FA which provides security against hacking.

This is a safe and quick-to-implement security feature for users of ProtonMail. Here’s a demo of how our product would look from a user perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rop3Gn8CUew

Hydro Authenticator (Hydro: Security & Identity)

• 100% Free (integration and use)

• Available on iOS & Android

-Implementation only takes 1 hour

-Seamless portal for blockchain-based identity management and document signing for your users can be integrated in future versions; one-stop shop for your users’ financial lives, powered by blockchain technology.

Check out the Hydrogen site for more information …

849 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    48 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. sub-folders

ProtonMail must add a feature to set sub-folders into other folders; this is an indispensable feature for any top tier email provider ....

839 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    43 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Browser Quick Login with PIN

I would like a similar experience in the browser that we have with the mobile app. Set an expiration where the user can still unlock quickly with PIN.

A trusted computer browser stores the main logon cookie with no expiration. But this cookie only has an encrypted blob that cannot access the mailbox alone. The 2nd cookie set to expire in X minutes/hours must be combined with a user supplied PIN, and that will decrypt the non-expiring main cookie blob, which logs the user back into the mailbox.

832 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    26 comments  ·  Changes to existing features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. MacOS & Windows Mail App

It would be awesome if ProtonMial built apps for Windows and macOS just like on mobile. I feel that this is the missing gap for PM.

804 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    31 comments  ·  New Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 491 492
  • Don't see your idea?

ProtonMail

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base